Ortofon/Ear 834p

I currently have a Scout TT with a Clearaudio, Virtuoso Wood cartridge that runs through my Ear 834p phono amp. Sound is good but the audiofile in me is always looking for the next notch. I have been offered a super deal on a Ortofon Windfield cartridge (top of the line) for 1/2 normal price. I really hate to pass on this oportunity but I'm not sure my phono amp will be adaquate for this cart. It is MM and MC but I have never used a MC before and don't know the in's and outs of this setup. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. I'm clueless.
markus1299

Showing 4 responses by markus1299

The 834p has 68dB of gain and the Cary SLP 05 has 10dB of gain. The Cary is a great pre but a little lacking in the gain dept.

Mark
Thanks for your responses guys. The only problem I am seeing with this match is that I can't dial in the impediance for best performance of this cart. Not sure what this might add if I could do that but it is a factor.
What are your views? Thanks again for addressing my learning curve here.

Mark

Ortofon Windfield sounds excellent through the Ear 834p. Took me a long time to set up but once it was done, the wow factor was there. I use the Mint Tractor to dial it in and results were great. The only downside is that to get good sound it takes 3/4 of the dial on muy Cary SLP05.

Mark
Downunder

The Windfield sounds really great. The old vinyl that I'm used to hearing is at a completely new level. I'm, still playing around with the VTA and VTF to get the best sound but it's miles above the Clearaudio woods that I have been using. Seems to be a much better mate for this arm.