Ortofon 309 vs. SME 3012 for SPUs

I am hoping that people here can compare the vintage Ortofon 309 arms to the SME 3012s for use with G type SPUs.

My question is which vintage tonearm is the best complement to a top flight G type SPU? There are a few versions of the RMG 309 tonearm and also SME 3012s (Series I vs. Series II). It seems that the SME 3012 Series I fetches the highest price. I would like to match one with an AE90 or Silver Meister GM MKII SPU.

latinsamba1

Showing 5 responses by latinsamba1

The 309D is a great arm but I am specifically interested in the vintage Ortofon and SME 12" arms.
It seems that both arms work very well but I am definitely interested in having the arm for exclusive use with SPUs (I already have an outstanding TW 10.5 arm for modern cartridges).

Does anyone know what the differences between the RMG 309 and the RMG 309i version are? I heard an RMG 309i paired with the SPU AE90 on another system using my same turntable and thought it was an outstanding combination. How does the older RMG 309 compare sonically?
I decided to buy a restored Ortofon RMG 309 arm and am now on the lookout for a good SPU :) I have heard both the AE85 and AE90 (I liked the AE90 most) but those command pretty high prices on the big auction site and I have read that the Silver Meister is one of the best of the bunch. There are other SPUs that I would ultimately like to try but most others would require a SUT (my preamp has 68db of gain).
I would like to avoid cartridges that require a SUT because to get one that would match the quality of my phono section would be quite costly between the SUT and the extra pair of RCAs. It's also another piece in the signal chain...

What are the differences between the early Silver Meister and the MKII version? The MKII version has sufficient output (.3MV) so I know it would work with my phono.
Hi Dover,

Yes, the Tron Seven I have is the Ultimate version with silver wiring and silver transformers. It has 68db of gain on the MC input. With my Windfeld cartridge (0.3MV output) and SET amps my listening level is between 8:30 and 9 o'clock. Past 9'oclock produces eviction-notice sound levels :) The preamp is absolutely silent at any volume level I have tried.

I'm still thinking that the Silver Meister GM MKII might be a great choice for me given that I love the sound of the Windfeld. Does anyone know what the differences are between the older Silver Meister and the new MKII version?