Ortofon 309 vs. SME 3012 for SPUs

I am hoping that people here can compare the vintage Ortofon 309 arms to the SME 3012s for use with G type SPUs.

My question is which vintage tonearm is the best complement to a top flight G type SPU? There are a few versions of the RMG 309 tonearm and also SME 3012s (Series I vs. Series II). It seems that the SME 3012 Series I fetches the highest price. I would like to match one with an AE90 or Silver Meister GM MKII SPU.

latinsamba1

Showing 2 responses by dover

Latinsambal appears to be using a Tron 7 preamp. The Tron phono uses a step up transformer internally for MC's already to amplify 0.3mv signal. Latinsambal might well be able to run cartridges down to 0.2mv depending on the gain structure of his preamp and power amp. He will have to turn the volume up - and result will be dependent on the noise floor being acceptable and whether he loses dynamics.

Pani you obviously haven't heard a decent all tube phono stage. In my experience most SUT's are coloured and compromise the sound. It's taken me years to find a couple of good SUT's that dont compress, lose transparency and dont degrade the sound. My Marantz 7 ( modded ) will amplify 0.25mv up with no noise and gain to spare. I only use SUT's with MC's at 0.15-0.2mv - Dynavector Karat Nova 13D, Ikeda Kiwame & Fidelity Research FR1mk3.

Conversely I also have a solid state head amp built by Reto Andreoli, who produces the Magic Diamond cartridges, that trounces most SUT's - pulls more detail through the midrange and is far less coloured.
Pani - there are not a lot of tube preamps that can amplify MC's with all tubes in the phono. The Marantz has seen off my old Jadis, Manley Ref, Klyne ( all owned ) and quite a few others.
The Conrad Johnson TEA2SE is ok for about 0.4mv up, no trannies.
CAT preamps are quite good. Heard one recently sounding very good with Micro Seiki 5000/Graham Phantom/Benz.
Some of the early VTL's had all tube MC capability, but the output impedances from the line stage really only suit tube power amps.
Wavelength Audio phono - this would be my choice.
TW Acustic Raven does a very high gain full tube based phono on the Thoress preamp.