Original Cary 300B Monos Reliability?

Anyone have long-term experience with the original Cary 300B monos (with the single 6SL7 tube)? I'm looking for feedback regarding reliability. I've read that the engineering choices made in the design should have the amps failing on a regular basis, along with eating tubes. 

Outside of a few DIY complaint/discussions, I haven't really seen this brought up as an issue.

I'm not concerned about the sound qualities or speaker compatibility as I have heard the combination before. Just looking to see if any of you have experiences to share regarding technical issues. I realize that these amps are now 28 years old, but they are point to point with basic parts. If the chosen values have worked for years, replacing defective caps/resistors should be straightforward.

Thanks for sharing!

128x128leahy

@leahy

I really like my CJ CAV45 S2, but I still want a little more of the reach out and touch them midrange that I recall from the Carys. 

I do not doubt  that  your CJ CAV 45 amplifier is serving you very well.  However the "reach out and touch " tactile quaility you're seeking is in my experience a true strength of good quality output SET amplification. 

As good as my  previous push pull amplifiers were, my Coincident Frankenstein 300b SET just took this characteristic to an upper level.  I'm curious to see how this plays out in your audio system given the inevitable variables and the Spector of component/system synergy. 

Charles 

Update: somewhat disappointed with the Cary monos/ProAc R2 combo, BUT, my 16 ohm single driver speakers (Finale Audio: Vivace Mini) are an excellent match. I'm missing a little bit of the mid-bass weight from my JBL L112 along with ultimate volume. For most daily listening, these Cary's are just what I was looking for. 

I am looking to max out the 6SL7 and 300B tube options. I'm thinking new WE 300B ($1,500!!!) and some nice NOS 6SL7 tubes. Any thoughts on these options would be appreciated.

Charles, what's your preamp with the Coincidents?

@leahy 

Congratulations with the Cary SET and Finale Audio speaker pairing. I use the Coincident Statement Line stage (101D tubes). You are wise to consider the upper tier quality 300b tube such as Western Electric. I'd also recommend you consider EML XLS and the Elrog 300b as well.  There are very good word of mouth reports  in regard to the Lanlai Elite 300b tubes.

Charles

@leahy For many years I ran a Cary CAD-301SE (a little-known model) with ProAc Response 2.5’s. I used the first reissue WE300B’s that came out in perhaps the 1990s--not originals, and not the new ones. I found the combination excellent. It didn’t plumb the bass (just as much the ProAc’s "fault" as the Cary’s), but with the midrange it provided it was easy to forgive.

Here’s one of the few photos I’ve found of a 301.