Optimizing Digital Volume Control

Hi,

First I would like to state that I am relatively new to audiophilia (sounds like a disease), however I have a relatively good engineering background.

Presently I am using a traditional CD->DAC->pre->power->speakers setup. I am using a Hegel HD20 DAC that has a digital volume control feature. I recently noticed that without the pre (ARC LS2) in the chain, using the DAC for volume control, I get better results.

Since the DAC is 24b, having a -140db noise floor (close to 144db theoretical limit) this makes sense to me. Since a CD, having 16bit resolution, supports a theoretical maximum of 96db (practical implementation are below 90db). So s properly designed digital attenuation of over 50db (probably in this case over 60db) should not degrade the sound.

Now to my question, assuming a computer as the source, followed by a 24b DAC that doesn't support volume control, one can in theory achieve the same results if the computer converts the 16b original data to 24b and then apply digital volume control. In this case the computer should output a 24b signal to the DAC.

Does anyone know if this is something that a JRiver or Foobar solution is capable of doing? or in general, does anyone know how volume control would work using JRiver or Foobar?

Thank you in advance for your attention.
oferi

Showing 1 response by zd542

"07-10-13: Edorr
Steve, this is the theory. As I mentioned, nine out of ten of the guys on whatsbestforum with six figure systems end up adding a preamp to their DAC. They can't be all tone deaf and/or suckers. As Denon mentioned, you need to spend $20K (and up) to get the desired result, which they do."

I agree overall, but you don't have to spend 20k. If you match your components well, you can get away for less.

You can also get great sound without a preamp. In both cases, it comes down to good system matching and what you like.

Oferi,

For someone with 6 months experience in audio, you seem to have your mind made up about a lot of things. Nothing wrong with that. I won't tell you how to think. You did ask for advice, though. You appear to have a good start on the technical aspects of audio. I would now balance that with some listening experience. Not everything in audio can be measured. If you don't accept that and find a way to blend your listening experience with the tech aspect, this will not be a fun hobby for you.