Optimation PA/CA-250

Hello:

I seek information on the load-driving capability of the PA-250 monoblocks from Optimation, Inc. (These amps preceded the Wolcott Presence monoblocks). Does anyone have experience with how the PA-250 monoblocks drive loads such as the Sound Lab A-1s or other difficult load types?

I currently use a pair of these monoblocks to drive Innersound Isis ESLs. The amps perform beautifully, however, they appear to exhibit signs of stress--in terms of the overload lamp flickering--as the impedance dips on some music passages. Audio literature indicates that the Innersounds present quite a stressful load in the low impedance range; yet, I wonder if the larger Sound Labs might not lead to a disastrous end to these wonderfully engineered amplifiers. Then again, 1970s technology backed with Mr. Henry Wolcott's sound engineering might stand the test of time and perform with aplomb.

Thank you for your time and patience.
somut

Showing 1 response by optimationman

Hi,
I presently have a par of PA1002 power amps made by Optimation INC. They are very similar to the PA250 with the same lighting lamps. I have tried to restore these to original operation but have had great difficulty getting information from Henry W. I have the circuit diagrams for the PA250, and others in the series that was built by Optimation. Of course, not the diagram for the PA1002. There are differences and errors on the diagrams! I am driving Dynaudio speakers with no sign of stress, but they are easy to drive compared to what you have. According to the infomation manual I have, these amps should drive + or - 1.0 PF, at 250va. In other words, anything. The lights are lite if you draw excessive plate current, and not being an expert in the tube world I would assume some type of mis-match. My PA1002 had impedance taps for 3.75, 16 and 60 ohms. I have seen a host of different tape position availible on different models. I have moded the units with new signal caps, removal of the input pot and cap., new diodes, new Power supply caps., and some circuit changes. I also didn't have the feedback Transformer t3, so it has cause me a great deal of work to make the units sound good. I have bought a Tektronix 4084 distortion analyzer to do some adjusting of the local, global back/forward feed adjustment, but have just recieved the unit an it was damaged in shipping. So I am repairing it first!!!!

Let me know how you get on with them. Do you have any documentation you could share?

Thanks Rob... Not many of us out here working on these thing i guess. Mine sound really fast and clean for tube types....