Oppo UDP-205 DAC vs. The Competition

I wanted to know if anyone also owns the Oppo UDP-205 Audiophile Edition player like me? I was going to buy the Ayre QB-9 DAC but then I got to thinking. My Oppo player is right next to my router so I could just run a CAT 6 cable between them and I am good. I know that the Sabre DAC's in the Oppo have received many great reviews but I am curious as how it would sound compared to a more expensive DAC?
The Oppo does support Roon and quite a few other sites, so it seems like it would be a good choice.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
David
f1wheels

Showing 3 responses by gdhal

Hi David. I've owned an Oppo UDP-205 since day 1 of its commercial release. Succinctly, the Oppo is very capable and in many situations a necessary component regardless of anything else you might have. Almost a year after purchasing the Oppo, I purchased a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC.  Suffice it to say that from a 2 channel pcm audio perspective, my Oppo has been relegated to transport.  If you find as I did, you would conclude that a stand alone purpose built DAC can offer a more dimensional music presentation, more articulate bass, less tinny treble and essentially less digititis. 
If either of you are considering selling the 205, please let me know.

I read some info on the avs forum having to do with an entity called "magnolia" that has some stock. I’m only a messenger in this regard 🙂