Oppo BDP-83SE or Sony SCD-XA5400ES?

Well somebody had to start this one. It may as well be me. I guess we're gonna have to base our selection on features, specs and reputation (at least as far as the Oppo is concerned). I'm mainly concerned with 2 channel analog playback with SACD and redbook. Anything else is just a bonus. The Sony has balanced outputs, is almost twice as heavy and build quality SEEMS better, has a 5 year warranty, ridiculous reviews and a the beginning of a cult-like following. The Oppo has a great rep, plays EVERYTHING, also ridiculous reviews (for every other model), ESS Sabre Ultra DACs (what does the Sony have??), seems to be upgradeable and WILL have a cult-like following. I cannot audition in my home. So I will be rolling the dice. Obviously you win whichever one you get. But which one would you go with and why?

sg69

Showing 2 responses by sg69

Magnumpi205,

You heard the BDP83SE? I didn't think they were out long enough for anybody to A/B compare to anything. I figured the people that did get one were still burning them in. Haven't really seen any reviews from early adopters yet. What was your impressions of both and what swayed you to go with the Sony?
I also have researched the Oppo a bit and it looks like some of the most respected companies in digital hi end (such as Theta and Lexicon) are using the Oppo as the platform for their own $3500+ universal players. Kinda makes the SE look like even more of a screaming bargain then originally thought.