Oppo BDP-83 SE vs McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe

Hi There,

Wanted to know if someone did A/B between Oppo 83 and McCormack UDP-1? Oppo 83 version (Reg or SE or Nuforce) VS McCormack UDP version (Reg or Deluxe).

My own feeling is, there is little sense in investing in a McCormack UDP in 2011, given Oppo 83 SE used could be had for about $700 (with BD support, FW upgrade, cust service etc. etc.).

But, wanted to confirm nonetheless, as I have McCormack DNA225 amp + RLD-1 pre (and there seems to be a good deal on UDP-1 Deluxe).

thanks,
Paul
paul2k7

Showing 1 response by jp1208

Petek, when did you send your Sony to TUC? I have a very hard time beleiving that the mod from these guys barely surpassed the UDP deluxe. I am also very surprised that the stock Sony XA5400 did not compete very close to the UDP. My modded 83SE and Denon 5910 make a EMM CDSA SE sound lifeless and small in comparison. The stock Oppo 83SE is no slouch when it comes to stock units either. I wouldn't hesitate on sending a stock 83SE to TUC. The 83SE has a ton of potential and a lot of people are modding this unit with good results.