OPPO BDP 83 or Marantz UD 8004

if price is no concern, which of these two blu ray players would you go with?? thanks
iverson
I think I would go OPPO in this case for price/performance; however, if it were the Marantz UD 9004 I'd go Marantz
What outputs are you using? If HDMI, go with the Oppo. If analog, go with the Marantz.

Kal
Go for the Oppo, it has outstanding image quality and you can tweak audio and video settings easily.
If price is no object, then get the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition upgraded by the "Upgrade Company," which you can find at their name dot com. It runs about the same cost as the Marantz, but the tweaked version compares favorably with BD players costing 7-10x more. I personally own the BDP-83SE (not tweaked)and I am in love with it. It's fast, it's easy to use, the analog section is a joy and it performs well for movies too. I have a nice system, but it's not ready for a tweaked 83SE yet... And BTW, I don't get kick-backs from the upgrade company, and I can't sell you a regular 83SE unless you happen to live near Jacksonville Florida. I'm just saying...
Regarding posting of Mbreed1962, another experienced source for modded Oppo BDP-83SE is Ric Schultz of tweakaudio.com
You can read there quite a bit about the incremental options for enhancing performance, along with cost involved.
Go for the Theta Compli Blu. I have compared this unit to the Oppo BDP83 SE. Read it here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?bhome&1269006958&&&/Review:-Theta-Compli-Blu-vs-Oppo-BDP-83-
Kal nailed it although SE or mods are tempting.

That said, 83 is out of production and 93 is due in November. 93SE probably a year away.

Art
"93SE probably a year away"

Internet search suggests a Netflix employee leaked information from Oppo that it will be called the BDP-95. Of course take prognostications of product release information gleaned from the internet with the proverbial grain of salt.