Oppo BDP-105 and Qnap TS-251A

I have recently bought a Qnap TS-251A NAS and attached it to my home network. My Oppo BDP-105 sees the Qnap and all its files on the network and, using the Oppo Media App, I can play the music files. I do not know what path the signal takes from ethernet cable in to the stereo audio out on the BDP-105. Does it go though the DAC?

The Qnap has 3 HDMI ports. It would seem to make more sense to attach the Qunap to the coaxial DAC input of the BDP-105 so that I can be certain of a direct path through the Oppo DAC. Does this make sense? Is this possible?
ifanpayne
mikaelkuz,

My mistake, I gave some incorrect info on my last post. I have the Synology 112J and just switched from AT&T to Comcast/Xfinity as my internet provider.  The new router/modem has 4 ethernet inputs so I have the Synology connected to one and the Oppo connected to another of these.

Sorry about that,
      Tim

@noble100 - do you just connect Ethernet port of Synology with Ethernet port of  OPPO ? Does you Synology device contain some kind of network hub? and why do not connect OPPO to a router you connected Synology NAS to? I have Synology 414 and did not know about that type of functionality (it does have 2 Ethernet ports, but I thought it is for doubling the speed with routers supporting such feature)...
Interesting.
" I currently run a cable from my router to the NAS, and another from the router to the Oppo. There is only one ethernet port on the Oppo 105 so if you are running an ethernet cable from the NAS to the Oppo they are linked to the network in series. Is this what you are suggesting?"

Hi ifanpayne,
     I'm suggesting the way you have things connected now is sending the digital signal to your 105's internal dac so you really don't need to change a thing. 
     My setup is linked to the network in series, I have an ethernet cable from the router to my Synology NAS and another ethernet cable from the NAS to my 105.  You could do the same but I don't believe there will be any benefits in doing so. 
    I hope this clarifies things for you but, if not, let me know.
Tim
Thanks both, very helpful. Noble, it sounds as thought you now have your NAS connected to the Oppo  by direct ethernet cable, that is from the router to NAS to Oppo. Is this right?

I currently run a cable from my router to the NAS, and another from the router to the Oppo. There is only one ethernet port on the Oppo 105 so if you are running an ethernet cable from the NAS to the Oppo they are linked to the network in series. Is this what you are suggesting?

I agree with reubent. I have a Synology NAS on my wi-fi that is feeding my Oppo 105. You can attach your Qnap to your Oppo either wirelessly (with the supplied wireless dongle) or wired via an ethernet cable if both units are relatively close to each other. My Synology was connected wirelessly in my initial setup but currently is connected via an ethernet cable since it now sits right next to my Oppo. Both methods are indistinguishable connectivity and sound wise in my system (using a Comcast hi-speed wi-fi network). I use a laptop running JRiver media center software connected to the wi-fi and both components, too. You have this option if you want the benefits of automated megadata and the other capabilities of JRiver but it’s not required.
Both the wireless and wired connection methods stream the NAS music files through the very good internal dac on the 105 (with expensive Saber 9018 dac chips used on many hi-end standalone dacs) with the analog output sent to both of the 105’s main stereo outputs: rca and xlr. Both methods are also equal to or superior to using USB connections. As long as you connect to your 105 either via the wireless or wired ethernet inputs from your Qnap, the digital signal will be converted to analog by your Oppo 105’s DAC. You don’t need to change a thing.

Enjoy,
Tim

@ifanpayne - I'm no expert, however this is my opinion based on the information you have provided. The Qnap TS-251A is a NAS device - Network Attached Storage. It stores files that can be "seen" by anything on your network that has the appropriate credentials. If you are "seeing" the files from your Qnap on the Oppo BDP-105 Oppo Meida App, the files are probably being presented to your Oppo BDP-105 over a network connection (either ethernet or wireless wifi). If you are "seeing" the files now, I do not believe there would be any benefit to trying to connect it in a different manner. 

If you wanted to try a physical connection from your Qnap device to the Oppo you would probably want to use a USB connection if you have USB on both the Qnap and the Oppo.