OPPO BDP-103 (NON Darby)

Hey all, (My mistake, I know it’s Darbee, not "Darby.")
I think I’m finally going to break down and buy a player that plays SACD disks. I know there are not all that many SACD titles available but I tried getting back into vinyl and was not all that happy with the $800.00 table I bought. Perhaps when I can afford a $3,00.00 PLUS turntable I will try again.
Anyway, I currently play DSD & FLAC files via thumb drive with my Marantz network player and CDR via a good Yamaha CD player. My amp & pre-amp are Emotiva and current speakers are B&W.
My thought is to buy an OPPO 103 - NON Darbee addition as I do not expect to use it for anything but 2 channel audio.
So, my qiestion is; how does the OPPO BDP-103 perform when playing Hi-Res audio and especially SACD? Does anyone have first hand experience with other players that may be a better choice for what I want in the same price range? I’ve read that the OPPOs tend to do better with Video play back than audio. Is this true?
I appreciate any & all replies!
wcc10

Showing 2 responses by leotis

I have a 103 running a Krell Foundation to Krell TAS to Revel F52 based surround system with JL Audio F112 sub. Using decent, non outrageous, power cords, interconnects and speaker cables. It sounds spectacular. But all the components contribute to the final result. Have ordered a ModWright Oppo 105 to replace the 103 at 8 times the cost of the 103. Won't sound 8X better however. Already have one ModWright Oppo 105 and a couple of 95s. For the price you will never find a better rig than the 103 IMHO. But the rest of the links in the chain are crucial.
You still need a source  and whatever preamp you use  the 103 plays way better than anything else for the price. I use it for SACD and hi res streaming. You can download hi res onto a flash drive even and plug and play. I'm going to have a spare 103 soon and will give you a good price if you want to message me. I've already sold 3 of them to family and friends.
For all the 103s out there you don't find many on the used market for a reason. Owners can always find someone they know who wants it.
More to discover