Oppo 983 vs Sony SCD-777ES, any experiences?

I'm facing possible repairs on my Sony and I am trying to decide whether it would be wise to repair or replace the unit. The Oppo gets rave reviews but I wonder how it sounds compared to the SCD-777ES?
dave_newman

Showing 1 response by blindjim

I think this is close, though not exact.

My xa 777 which was/is on some accounts a better sounding unit than the older 777, vs the oppo 980 diff was easy to determine. Via solely the analog out the 980 isn't on par with the xa777 in terms of imaging, bass, or sound stage spcificity. Tonally they are far closer however.

I hate to hang a number on the desparity there but I would say it's within reason to claim the 980 comes within 20% - 25% of xa777 give or take a couple points. I believe that's fair enough. Perhaps 85% at very best.

I'd think the 983 no different as the big change there is in the video chip set. If the drive build has been altered or beefed up, then perhaps the 983 may well exceed that of the 980 via the digital outputs, though again, albeit I'd think it to be marginally.

the item that makes all this disconcerting isn't so much the closeness of their sonic powers alone, but the fact the Oppos' get so close sonically for so much less money while providing far more versatility with other audio formats, and volume gain as well. not to mention possessing a warranty too!

75-85% of the sound for 20-40% of the USED sale price of a SCD or xa777? cover every current format including DSD with volume adjustment?

That will give many some pause.

It's still closer via the digital outs.

But isn't that next 15-25% where we usually have to spend exponentially though, right? It's either that or settle, huh?

I can put it another way too.... I sold my xa777, kept the 980, and a 983 ought to be here soon. My main audio now wont be the Oppos, but my PC, which meets or excells overall above either the Sony or Oppos apart from one instance.... depth of sound stage. The 983 will be the default disc player for the main system, the 980 in a secondary one.