Oppo 970 sounds better than HDDVD player on DVDs?

Hi all,

I have both an Oppo 970 and RCA HDV5000 HDDVD. I had been using the RCA in the main system to watch both DVDs and HDDVDs, using the digital output into my Sony DA4ES receiver. I was at that time using the Oppo in the bedroom to watch some DVDs on a TV we have back there.

I decided I wanted to put the Oppo in the main system so as to be able to get into some DVD-Audio and SACD listening.

But since I had the Oppo and the HDDVD player connected via component to my Mits TV, I thought I would compare the picture quality on regular DVDs at 480p(the Mits has no HDMI input). It turned out that, at least to my eye, the image quality was a bit better with the Oppo.

But what astounded me was that reciever-decoded 5.1 movie tracks seem clearly superior with the Oppo. The sound is clearer, dialog is more intelligible, musical instruments sound more real, the surround channels are more active, there is more dynamic impact to transients. The movie experience is definitely better with the Oppo.

How can this be? I would have thought both players would be sending the exact same digital stream to the receiver. The only difference is that the Oppo is connected via coaxial cable, while the RCA is connected via glass optical cable. Could the cable differences explain this difference? I have been told that for movie 5.1 audio, it wouldn't matter whether I connect with coaxial or optical.

Any ideas? One thing is for sure. That Oppo is a bargain.
mtrot

Showing 1 response by xxmalakeixx

My comparison may be unfair, however Ive used the oppo for both video and audio before. I was very dissapointed with the 970, but i think unjustly so. I tried comparing the unit to my Rega Planet with same IC same Power same everything. Rega sung and the oppo died. However im not sure if maybe the oppo was trying to output 5ch since the cd i was using was an SACD hybrid. Didnt show up as SACD on the screen but it wasnt hooked up to a monitor. I have a feeling it might have been as i hear people RAVE about 5.1 audio quality with this unit. It is now being used in one of my other systems for both audio and video hooked up to my B&K reciever, only thing ive yet to do is try it with 5.1 properly with 5.1 analog IC. Speaking of which does anyone know where to find descent budget 5.1 cable?? I suppose i could try with my AR Master Series Digital coax but i think im better off with 5.1 analog. Oh and to support the theory, rca is a terrible company with almost no quality control, you can get good units and bad units like good and bad apples there. Oppo is far from the same, they are a company for young audiophytes and audiophiles dreams, quality quality quality, and only where it will give you the best return for your money. Videophiles alike. GL with your oppo.