OPPO 205 VS 105 QUESTIONS

I'd like to upgrade from my current  Oppo 105 to the 205 but need advice on whether there are functions the 105 does that the 205 cannot.  I'm basically just looking to upgrade from the 1080p video playback of the 105 to the 4K playback of the 205 while still having all of the audio capabilities I currently use on the 105 
     I currently use the 105 in a combination 2-ch music and 5.1 surround ht audio system.  For video I have a 65" Panasonic plasma that is 1080p but wanted the 205 just in case I purchase a 4K OLED hdtv in the near future.  The 4K and high contrast color are really the only reasons I'm considering upgrading to the 205.
     But my questions are all concerned with the 205's audio capabilities:

1.  Can I connect the 205 to my Xfinity cable wi-fi router/modem via an rs43 ethernet cable just like the 105?
     My main 2-ch music source is a 2TB NAS, also connected to my wi-fi router/modem via ethernet,  that contains my entire 16/44 CD collection and a growing number of 24/96 hi-res music files. The NAS  only contains audio files, no video files.  I use a wireless laptop running JRiver Media Center to select the music file to play.  All is functioning flawlessly and just want to make sure swapping in the 205 via ethernet will work the same way.  I understand the 205 has the latest top of line Saber dac chips that are likely an improvement over the 105's Saber 9018 chips.  

2.  Can I send internet music files (currently only Spotify but likely others in the future)  to the 205 from my laptop for use as a digital streaming playback device utilizing its internal dacs just like the 105?  

3.  Can I connect the 205 directly to my amps as I currently do with the 105?  If so, does it have dedicated XLR l+r stereo outputs and rca outputs for the surround channels just like the 105?

4.  What would you do: be content with the 1080p Oppo 105 and Panasonic 1080p plasma that are functioning very well or upgrade to a 4K Oppo 205 and 4K OLED both with improved color capacity?

5.  Are there any other significant differences between the 105 and 205 that you think I should be aware of?

I understand the 205 is currently in short supply but know that Oppo is planning on 1 final production run of the  205 before bowing out of the market. I did signup on the Oppo website fairly early for notification of future availability.  I really want to avoid buying one of the currently still available 205s, but at significantly increased prices, if I can.  I'm going to ask Oppo if I can reserve one of the final run units if I prepay.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
   Tim
128x128noble100

Showing 1 response by basement

Makes sense, Tim. 

I am still getting used to my system, having just had it set up maybe a month. I will have to do more comparing, but first impressions are that my old Theta Prime 3 is the equal, or better, 2 ch dac compared to the sabre/oppo of the 205. 

What that MAY indicate, is that the better dacs of the 205 to the 105 might not be that big a deal- since you COULD get better dacs elsewhere. 

I skipped a lot of TV's, went from my flat-screen tube TV to a 4k. Little Joe's jacket was blue, and it was getting pretty dark. Paid like about 550 for the new 60" 4k...

I know this: was watching Lord of the Rings on Hulu plus, and the wifi kept disconnecting, so I popped in the old DVD of the same, It was a MAJOR transformation. Picture was far, far better.playing a DVD through the Oppo 205 than what I was streaming from Hulu. 

Still learning. Waiting to hear from others that actually know what they are talking about.