Oppo 203 SPDIF Digital Coax output

Question: Does the SPDIF digital coax audio output of the Oppo 203 send the input (HDMI) audio signal unaltered when bitstream is selected? If it's possible, what are the settings to use? My use case is 2-channel streaming music from an NVidia Shield Pro 2017 using the HDMI input of the Oppo, with the SPDIF digital out feeding an external DAC. I've tried various settings, and the telltale sign of alteration is when I change the speaker config (e.g., distance of front left speaker), it changes the sound on the digital coax out! Direct A/B comparison between the USB (both Stereo and high resolution stereo) out of the NVidia Shield and the SPDIF digital out also sound markedly different. Maybe it's some setting with the Shield, maybe it's some setting with the Oppo.

Somewhat related question: is there a difference in USB sound between the Shield 2017 vs. 2019?
jitenn

Showing 3 responses by jitenn

Thanks Rego. Yes, my settings are textbook correct. 

Oppo: Bitstream S/PDIF
Shield: (manual) toggle between HDMI and USB; USB always set to HQ stereo
Connections:
- Shield HDMI OUT to Oppo HDMI IN;
- Oppo S/PDIF OUT to DAC S/PDIF IN;
- Shield USB OUT to DAC USB IN;
- Oppo Analog OUT to Preamp IN;
- DAC Analog OUT to Preamp IN (separate input). That's partly why I can do an A/B test instantly on Oppo Analog OUT vs. Oppo  S/PDIF+DAC S/PDIF, and it sounds near identical (suggesting Oppo altering signal); but with Oppo S/PDIF+DAC vs. Shield USB+DAC sounds markedly different
Thanks folks. Working with Oppo tech support. Something is awry, but a full power cycle seems to have changed something as well.
Limited insight from Oppo at as now. They insist the player shouldn't be doing what it's doing. I insist otherwise. Stalemate.