Oppo 105D high frequencey sizzling issue anyone help me suggesting a mod that i can do or?

Ya No .. so I have had the Oppo 105D since April 2014 and have enjoyed it and never had an issue .. until lately ..

I am getting a high frequency sizzling at the tweeters via the dedicated balanced 2 channel outs.

With less of a revealing interconnect one can not hear it at my listening distance of 10 ft but I do want to keep my WireWorlds Gold Eclipse 7s .. as they are so open and revealing ..

I know that its the Oppo as I have isolated and changed out speakers, cables, interconnects, power cords and by passed my power conditioner as well and all leads point to the noisy audio board.

So I contacted Oppo and it would be $119 for them to put in a new board .. very reasonable I think .. however they cant guarantee me that it will solve my issue as they cant duplicate my exact set up and interconnects..

with the above stated .. maybe I should look into a modification as we all know there is a lot of mods that can be and are done with the oppo 105.

Maybe I try things myself? Thinking of trying to emi rfi shielding the power transformer, power supply cover, transport lid 
 Any suggestions and real world experience that you may have are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time .

greatwhite11
Scott, FWIW, the outputs of the 105 aren't truly balanced. Going single ended shouldn't make a big difference. 
Did you try a different pair of XLR cables? It could be something as simple as a lose ground wire inside your cables. 
Did you try a different disk player in your system using your same cables to isolate to the Oppo? 
Even if you just borrow a dac to help in evaluation, feeding it from the Oppo's digital outs could isolate the Oppo analog board/outs as the source of the noise. 
Have you tried physically moving around your cables and messing with any cable intersections, power cables touching interconnects, cables looping, etc. that might be acting as antennae and picking up RFI? 

Lastly, if this issue "appeared one day" after having had the unit without trouble beforehand, it certainly sounds like something needing repair more so than you just not liking the presentation of the Oppo. 

Modding broken gear is worse than putting lipstick on a pig. IMHO, you need to find the root cause and eliminate the it. Cheers,
Spencer

Hi Spencer

again .. its not the presentation of the oppo .. it needs repair .. leaking just the slightest sizzle more prominent on the right side.

I certainly did all the recommendations and isolated it to the oppo player .. where exactly in the oppo I don’t know .. again possibly the board ..

That is a good idea as far as trying to isolate the oppos analog board/outs but do not have access to a dac or not sure how I could otherwise ..

" again .. its not the presentation of the oppo .. it needs repair .. leaking just the slightest sizzle more prominent on the right side. "

Swap channels on your IC's just to be sure. Only do it on one end of the cables, not both. The problem should move to the other channel. Also, go over your speakers and make sure none of the screws are loose. Especially the ones holding the drivers in. Over time, they can work lose.

If the Oppo is really broken, the price is very fair. Just have it fixed.

Hi RSV4

Its not my Focals , I already changed them out ..

but not sure if I did in fact try swapping channels .. good idea I will

I just did change the inputs and now I am getting more sizzle on the left channel but oddly there seems to be a bit more sizzle on the other channel now as well ..

I am running 1/2 meter balanced WireWorlds and I am going to try to raise my oppo player up more (my oppo is on the bottom shelf of my Mark Levinson) to take some of the tension off the interconnects .. I wonder if it is that simple? I will try this as welll  

No luck .. there was not much tension on the interconnects anyways ..

I did just sprayed contact cleaner on to the oppo balanced males as well as the female ends of the interconnects .. see what this does ..

Next I will be taking the oppo out of the system and opening her up .. maybe lightly vacuum and contact clean some areas ..