Oppo 105D as media center

Merry Christmas everyone! Well it's time for me to shuffle around my hifi systems. My current digital source is the lovely myro.air and it does most of what I'd like to do... So it will move to my bedroom with my Sophia baby amp and L100's. This thing is a great little streaming Swiss Army knife and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

looks like I might breaking my mostlyYamaha pedigree https://instagram.com/p/_s2vsdiRic/

and the 105 does everything digital I'm looking for (SACD, CD, UPNP, DoP) and leaves room for video. There are probably detractors out there saying that you shouldn't mix DSD and PCM players... But at this juncture a multifunction device will do.

here's the headspin... I'm looking at these mods, And my mind is jello. EVS, modwright, upgrade company, custom analogue, oppomod, sound affairs, vinculum (they don't list their prices, they look too bougie).

have any any of us ever had a chance to hear these up against each other? I'm sure they all yield improvements. The prices are all over the map, but the mods sound pretty similar. Clock, analog stage, power supply... Mix, match, repeat. I guess I'm interested in EVS and oppomod, and most interested in staying solid state... (As I may add tubes to the signal path at a later date if I wish).
onwatershipdown

Showing 3 responses by tonykay

IMO, mods are overrated. First, they're expensive. Second, they make it difficult for anyone else to ever repair the piece should it ever be needed. 
When I see modded equipment for sale it's usually prohibitively expensive due to the cost of the mods. Also, if the mod was the cure all the owner expected, why is it for sale? Just my opinion. 
I also have an Oppo 105D. It sounded so good right out of the box,  I never felt the need to consider modding it. Just my opinion. I used it as a source for my Stax 009 phones (via the balanced outputs). Now, I'm just using it for video. I don't know exactly how much mods might cost, but added to the price of the Oppo I'd probably opt for a used Wadia or Esoteric. Although I rarely sell equipment, I'm conscious of the resale value and modded units seem to sit on the market longer than stock unless you find just the right buyer. Again, this is just my perception.
"I have no idea what an unmodified Oppo sounds like.  I've never heard one, but the reviews aren't very flattering."

Every review I have read goes overboard about how good the Oppo units sound. I see modded Oppo units for sale on Audiogon and C****list, but even used they ask double or triple the original price. I repeat, if they sound so good modded then why are they for sale?