Oppo 105D as media center

Merry Christmas everyone! Well it's time for me to shuffle around my hifi systems. My current digital source is the lovely myro.air and it does most of what I'd like to do... So it will move to my bedroom with my Sophia baby amp and L100's. This thing is a great little streaming Swiss Army knife and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

looks like I might breaking my mostlyYamaha pedigree https://instagram.com/p/_s2vsdiRic/

and the 105 does everything digital I'm looking for (SACD, CD, UPNP, DoP) and leaves room for video. There are probably detractors out there saying that you shouldn't mix DSD and PCM players... But at this juncture a multifunction device will do.

here's the headspin... I'm looking at these mods, And my mind is jello. EVS, modwright, upgrade company, custom analogue, oppomod, sound affairs, vinculum (they don't list their prices, they look too bougie).

have any any of us ever had a chance to hear these up against each other? I'm sure they all yield improvements. The prices are all over the map, but the mods sound pretty similar. Clock, analog stage, power supply... Mix, match, repeat. I guess I'm interested in EVS and oppomod, and most interested in staying solid state... (As I may add tubes to the signal path at a later date if I wish).
onwatershipdown

Showing 1 response by mountz

I guess I am one of the few who have seen the light with Mods.  I have the Oppo 105d with the modwright truth mod (I also have an unmodded 105 to compare) and can agree with the dramatic improvement of the mod.  Lots of warmth and greater detail.  I am curious about the Exemplar mod to the Oppo, because John Tucker has modded my integrated and speakers to statement level, and I couldn't be happier.  Yes the mods are not cheap by any means, but allow equipment to work untethered to the strains of power supplies or other components to muddy the sound that your device is trying to produce.  I find that any good modder will stand behind his work and do this best to keep you as a customer and go well beyond any warranty to keep your equipment functioning.  Dan at Modwright has been a great resource well after he modded the Oppo for me.  I would suggest that you as lots of questions and listen for open and honest answers about the mod to be sure your understand what you are getting for your money.

BTW:  I have done shootouts with my modded Oppo and PS Audio transport and it wasn't even close!