Oppo-105 vs Oppo-93 + W4S DAC2 for stereo.

Hi,

I am confused between the following choices. This requirement is for best sounding 2 channel stereo.

1. Oppo-93 + Wyred4Sound DAC2
2. Oppo-105 (with same DAC chip as W4S DAC2 + digital inputs)

I already have an Oppo-93. Would it be better for me to sell Oppo-93 and get a brand new Oppo-105 or keep the Oppo-93 and add a Wyred4Sound DAC2 to it. Any body anticipate any change in the transport between Oppo-105 and Oppo-93. I know that Oppo-93 and Oppo-95 uses the same transport.

Thanks,
John.
john_k_antony

Showing 1 response by zaphodbeeblebrox

I to am looking for a Blu-ray for strictly 2 channel enjoyment.
I think the Oppo 105 is to new to have any reviews yet on it however, from what I have learned so far in general, as long as you are going to use an outboard DAC you probably will be fine keeping the Oppo 93. However if you are going to use the inboard DAC then I would suggest getting the Oppo 105 because it will have a better Stereo DAC than your Oppo 93.

The only issue I can foresee, and I honestly don't know enough about digital to give a definitive answer is, that I with the Oppo 93 to use an outboard DAC you must change the settings in the setup menu, some players must down mix the LPCM for stereo use and some players don't. If the Oppo 93 down mixes but the Oppo 105 does not then I would go for the Oppo 105. I am just not 100% sure about the stereo down mix, good or bad? Maybe someone else can clarify.