Oppo 105 or PS Audio PWD Mk2

I am in the market for a new CD player and wondered if anyone has been able to compare the Oppo 105 and the PS Audio PWD MkII.

I want to hear detail but want it musical. I had an Esoteric SA60 for an in home audtion and sent it back because I did not think that it was especially musical in my system.

I would sacrifice detail for PRAT.
dsper

Showing 1 response by dsper

Hegeifman,

I do not want to appear to be a total dunce; and certainly know the difference between a DAC and a CD player.

The problem is the listening experience for me requires that I get to hold an album or jewel case so that I can read about the artist to which I am listening.

Depending on who you talk to, the CD is dead. I personally do not believe that for a minute. However, I am interested in understanding if a good DAC could be a better choice for me than a new cd player.

Trouble is the DACs seem to be associated with some sort of computerized hi rez source and the review is more about all that s**t rather than describing how the DAC really sounds.

I mentioned the Oppo and the PS Auduio units because they both seem to have good reviews and are two different approaches.

What I really want to know is if there is a good DAC out there that is sonically equal to or better than $5K CD players from Ayre, Ayon, ARC, etc.

Another question is whether the PS Audio DAC really needs a great trasport if the fancy lens and native X is so great.