Oppo 105 in place of pre/pro

Can I use the Oppo in place of my pre/pro for H/T ? I would use my current 2 channel setup for music .

Thank You
saki70
saki70

Showing 2 responses by noble100

Saki,

I just bought an Oppo 105 and can tell you for certain you can use the unit as a processor and a limited input preamp.
Right now, I have the 105's 'Dedicated Stereo' xlr outputs connected directly to my main amp's xlr inputs. I also have the 105's 7.1 channel analog outputs connected directly to my 2 ht amps via rca cables in a 5.1 configuration.

If you set the 'Stereo Setting' to 'Front L + R' in the 'Audio Processing' section of the Startup menu, the Oppo has a unique ability to play back in either stereo or multi-ch automatically based on the inputted signal. This means when you play a CD it will playback in stereo and when you're watching tv or a movie, it will automatically playback in multi-ch surround mode.

I found I no longer need my tubed VTL preamp for music or my Parasound AV2500 for surround processing once the 105 was installed. I'm probably going to sell both to a friend for about the same cost as the 105 ($1,200).

The 105 sounds excellent for both 2-ch and multi-ch in my system. You may also find this simplified setup may work very well for you for both, too.

Before I sell my beloved VTL, I'm going to incorporate it back into my system just to make sure. I'm going to hook it back in between the 105 and my amp via the 105's 'Dedicated Stereo' rca outputs since the VTL has no xlr inputs. If it sounds even better, I'll leave it in. If not, I'll sell it as planned.

However, I seriously doubt I'll be able to improve on my current sound performance. I'm using the 105's excellent Saber dacs for decoding both ripped cds and hi-rez computer audio files and thoroughly enjoying the quality sound for both music and ht.

Let me know if you need more info,
Tim

Response34,

I can honestly say, and it was very surprising to me, that I do not miss my beloved VTL tube preamp in my audio chain. Everything sounds just as sweet to me going without it.

To be fair, however, I made a lot of changes to my system at the same time. I replaced an older Sony DVP-7700 DVD/CD player with the clearly superior Oppo 105. I also began going directly from the Oppo into my main class D amp via xlr cables versus my former path of the Sony to the VTL and out to my amp via rca cables. At the same time, I also took advantage of the Oppo's hi-res capacity by integrating computer audio into my system. This consists of a laptop running JRiver Media Center software, a Synology NAS that now contains my entire CD collection along with a handful of 24 bit/96khz FLAC and WAV downloaded files and the Oppo 105 as the digital media renderer/player. The stored music files are now sent wirelessly to the Oppo for digital to analog conversion via its very good Saber dacs. The analog signal outputs directly to my amp via xlr cables, eliminating the preamp from the audio chain.

Because of the above, I find it difficult to isolate a system change that has resulted in my system currently sounding so good. I never thought I'd even consider taking the excellent VTL, with NOS Mullard tubes, out of my system. But I had to trust my ears and the extreme 'in the room' illusion I'm now enjoying with my music. In truth, there are probably multiple factors involved with giving me such good results; better recorded/engineered source material, elimination of a component from the audio path, better dacs, better input and output stages and a lower noise floor.

Ultimately, I really don't care if I never know the predominate cause since I'm thoroughly enjoying just listening to my existing and new music so much right now.

I'm not advocating that anyone should give up their tubed preamp, I'm just encouraging members to let the results and musical presentation guide their choices.

Enjoy,
Tim