Oppo 105 in place of pre/pro

Can I use the Oppo in place of my pre/pro for H/T ? I would use my current 2 channel setup for music .

Thank You
saki70
saki70

Showing 3 responses by dbphd

A number of posters at the 105 owners' thread at AVS recommend eliminating a processor from the audio chain, and going directly from an Oppo 95 or 105 to amps. One claim is that the superior analog section of the 95 and 105 compared to the 93 and 103 also results in finer volume control. I take the analog stereo of a 95 directly to amps with good results. I take the analog stereo of a 105 through an analog stereo preamp set to unity gain and the surrounds and SW directly to amps. The preamp is needed because it is shared with a Sony 5400ES and phono stage.

db
Seditious3, I didn't understand the second sentence of your first paragraph. The Oppo has only digital inputs. An HD-DVR goes to the rear HDMI input of the 105 in my setup, and a Mac Min to the asynchronous USB. The Parasound JC-2 analog preamp has no digital inputs, and it's used to permit three sources to access the stereo amp.

db
The 105 has no room correction in the sense of Audyssey, just speaker management such as distance, trim, size, and crossover frequency to a sub. Those functions seem to function flawlessly.

db