Oppo 105 DVD player as a "preamp"?

Question for anyone who owns an Oppo BDP-105 DVD/DAC player: As I understand it, this unit has its own internal volume control and can act as a “digital preamp” for 2-channel audio systems by allowing you to route the DVD/CD - and other digital input signals - through the unit’s internal DAC, and directly to your power amp – without the need for a separate dedicated preamp. From the reviews I’ve read, the Oppos 105’s analog 2-channel output stage is quite robust, compared to other DVD players.

My question is, has anyone tried using their Oppo 105 as a digital preamp and routed the 2-channel stereo analog output directly into your power amp? If so, what sound quality differences, if any, did you hear by removing the dedicated preamp from your system?

I’m stuck between 2 schools of thought on this:

1. The fewer circuits and cables in the signal path, the better the sound should be. Therefore, eliminating the dedicated preamp and running the Oppo’s output directly to the power amp should increase sound quality.

2. A separate dedicated preamp will likely have better circuitry and signal quality than the comparatively basic gain stages in the Oppo. Therefore, using a separate preamp should deliver better sound quality.

Thoughts?

Thanks A’Gon gang!

Enter your text ...
128x128mhwalker
Like you I’m also debating whether get a 105 (105D in my case) or go for separates which cost ten times as much.
so I’ll subscribe to see what opinions actual users have.

in the meantime a couple of reviews if you haven’t seen these:
http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/reference-components/598-recommended-reference-component-opp...

"The case for analog

When the BDP-105 was connected directly to a power amplifier through its analog audio outputs, its sound quality was similar to that of the Anthem Statement D2 A/V processor ($7499, discontinued) that I use as my reference DAC-preamp. Whether I was listening to two-channel recordings or multichannel movie soundtracks, the BDP-105 always sounded musical, yet powerful and controlled, through all of its channels.

It was enlightening to compare the BDP-105 with AudioQuest’s overachieving DragonFly USB DAC ($249), which Doug Schneider found to have amazing levels of transparency, detail, and immediacy when connected directly to a Bryston power amplifier. I heard something similar when I connected the DragonFly to the Axiom ADA-1000 amplifier ($1340). When I listened to U2’s “One,” covered by Damien Rice on Ahk-toong Bay•bi Covered (16/44.1 FLAC, Universal), both sources provided exceptionally intimate renditions of this track that I was hard-pressed to tell apart.
*****This served only to confirm my observation that the BDP-105 can function as a very high-performing DAC and preamp.

and:
http://www.tonepublications.com/review/oppo-bdp-105-universal-player/
105d:
http://www.dagogo.com/oppo-digital-bdp-105d-blu-raysacd-player-darbee-edition-review
I connect my Oppo 95 multichannel analog output directly to my Btryston 9B-ST THX. Play 5.0 channel SACD. Also using the two channel Xle directly to Bryston 7B-st mono block. Speaker B&W 801 matrix. Super sound experience. I like multichannel sacd more than 2channel.

I’m stuck between 2 schools of thought on this:

1. The fewer circuits and cables in the signal path, the better the sound should be. Therefore, eliminating the dedicated preamp and running the Oppo’s output directly to the power amp should increase sound quality.

2. A separate dedicated preamp will likely have better circuitry and signal quality than the comparatively basic gain stages in the Oppo. Therefore, using a separate preamp should deliver better sound quality.

Thoughts?

1: Correct, the output stage of the Oppo is 47ohms at over 2v completely matched to drive any poweramp, unfortunately the digital domain volume control can "bit strip" if used too low, this is usually below 75% of full but can vary, so if you can use it above 75% then your hearing the Oppo at it's best with no "bit stripping" warts and all.

2: A dedicated preamp "may" have "better" circuitry, but the best preamp is one that sounds like "straight wire with gain" but the signature will be already given to it by the Oppo, so if the preamp is that good it will let the Oppo’s signature sound through and not sound any different, if not it’s got distortions that will colour the sound, maybe to your liking, maybe not if you were happy with the Oppo’s own sound direct.

Cheers George