Oppo 105 and Cary 11 Surround Processor

Hi,
I'm hardly an expert with Home Theater and need some advise. I'm considering buying an Oppo 105 and a Cary 11 processor for my theater. It will be teamed with a JVC 3d projector and unknown multi channel amp along (have not picked one up yet) with Legacy Audio Phantoms for surrounds and the Marquis center channel. Of course i will be using Legacy Helix for the mains plus my two Legacy Extreme subs.

The Cary 11 is an older unit and will not pass the video I will be sing the Oppo which has 2 HDMI inputs for video. The Oppo do the surround processing and will be hooked to the Cary via analog for the audio channels. This way I don't have to keep updating the processor and just update the Oppo as it is needed.

Is there any problem with a setup like this?
Should I purchase a state of the art video and surround processor and get the Oppo 103 instead?
Any insights or inputs would be welcome.
128x128sgr

Showing 3 responses by elescher

I had the Cary 11a in my system and it never sounded very "alive". I was disappointed. There were issues with HDMI compatability with my Panasonic TV and if I remember correctly the Cary doesn't do any video processing. On the otherhand with the Anthem AVM 50 I have (not the v version) along with the ARC (Anthem Room Correction) all my cable channels are upped to 1080p from their standard 480i or best case 1080i. I have Fios which is excellent BTW. The Anthem room correction is much more sophisticated than the Cary's version as well, and it also works! The only downside some may have with the Anthem is it only has 5.1 analog inputs. I use HDMI from both my cable and Oppo 95 so it is not an issue for me. One other issue is that with the basic AVM 50 you cannot pass a 3d signal through it so you need to use one of the HDMI outs on your Oppo for video only to the TV and the other HDMI output to the Anthem for audio only. That being said if this is an issue just move up the line and spend a few more bucks and the Anthem will do the 3d.

I have had many different processors in all price ranges and to me the Anthem provides the best sound and flexability. I have never had an uber hi end processor though.
Just as a side note.....it seems a lot of people are stuck on the idea that they need to get a multi channel amp for HT. I have been using 3 McCormack stereo amps and love them. I bi-amp my center channel with one of them. MUCH better sound for the money!!! imo.