Oppo 105 and Cary 11 Surround Processor

Hi,
I'm hardly an expert with Home Theater and need some advise. I'm considering buying an Oppo 105 and a Cary 11 processor for my theater. It will be teamed with a JVC 3d projector and unknown multi channel amp along (have not picked one up yet) with Legacy Audio Phantoms for surrounds and the Marquis center channel. Of course i will be using Legacy Helix for the mains plus my two Legacy Extreme subs.

The Cary 11 is an older unit and will not pass the video I will be sing the Oppo which has 2 HDMI inputs for video. The Oppo do the surround processing and will be hooked to the Cary via analog for the audio channels. This way I don't have to keep updating the processor and just update the Oppo as it is needed.

Is there any problem with a setup like this?
Should I purchase a state of the art video and surround processor and get the Oppo 103 instead?
Any insights or inputs would be welcome.
128x128sgr

Showing 1 response by dminches

Elescher, how are the HDMI incompatibility issues related to the Cary which doesn't do HDMI?

Sgr, I use an Oppo BDP-95 with a Cary 12 and it is a great combination. I am using the 7.1 bypass with the Cary even though it does decode all the formats via HDMI.

The Cary 11 is a very good sounding unit but it is a little old. You may want to consider another older non-HDMI unit with your Oppo.