OPPO 103 VE 105.....

I READ A LOT ABOUT THE HIGHLY ACCLAIMED OPPO 105, BUT I CANT AFFORD IT. MY QUESTION IS HOW GOOD IS THE 103 AND DOES IT COMPARE FAVORABLE TO THE 105. LET ME KNOW I MIGHT GET ONE INSTEAD.............THANKS
kennesawjet

Showing 2 responses by freemand

Mattmiller, in part you are wrong or not telling the whole story.

If using analog then the 105 is the no brainer, but if you have a higher quality external dac then what is inside the 105 sabre dacs then the 103 will outperform assuming the 103 is feeding through the high end dac.

The dacs in the 105 are nice but are nothing to write home about and can be easily beat with a great external dac.

Heres whats written by Rick at EVS who mods the oppos....

"If you only are using the Oppo for its digital/HDMI outs then the modded 103D is the only way to go. The 105D has the same digital out/HDMI out capability.....you get the 105D cuz you want the super duper analog out capability, direct DAC inputs, headphone amp and better digital volume control.."
Mattmiller, I agree that on their own I would own a 105. I dont agree that the 105 is optimized for video over the 103. They are the same in that department.

I am using a NAD m51 with a 35 bit volume control and use its hdmi in to enjoy all the high res with a great dac.

I pondered long and hard if I would go with a solo 105 or a 103 with the nad m51 dac. I spent a little more with the combo but was worth it in my mind.

I just need to find a modded 103 on here now for another system!