Opp 970 for SACD and DVD-A

I have a 4 year old Phillips 963sa That I have been using as my DVD and SACD player and I like it but it is starting to have problems reading DVDs. The problem is intermittent but I am thinking about replacing the unit with the Oppo. I have read many reviews about the video quality of the Oppo but how well does it do SACD or DVD-A? I can buy this unit and use my Phillips as a dedicated SACD player but I was curious if this could just be a direct replacement. I do not want to buy a high end player until Blue Ray and HD-DVD have ended the format war. I think the Oppo will be a great interim player. Please let me know what you guys think about the Oppo as a SACD and DVD-A player. Thanks.
kemp

Showing 1 response by adam70

just for the record: the 970HD is NOT simply the the 971H with SACD added. videowise, the 971H has faroudja video processing, the 970HD does not (this is not necessarily a bad thing, as it elminates the potential macroblocking problems of the faroudja chip).

in addition, Oppo will tell you that the audio of the 970HD is better than the 971H, in quality as well as features. while it's obviously not the last word in SQ, i think it's a fantastic bargain.