Opinions: USED 200- 300 wpc amp with remote on/off

I'm looking for a used high-current power amp between 200 - 300 wpc that (hopefully) can be briged for mono & can be turned on remotely. Additionally, I would like to spend no more than $400 for it.

The speaker I want to drive is rated at a nominal 4 ohms, but dips down to about 2 ohms between 5 - 10k. The speaker will be used for a center channel on a LARGE surround system. The idea is to switch on the pre/pro which can be programmed to output 12V, either straight DC or as a pulse, which in turn would turn on the amplifier either directly, or by using a relay.

I know that I can always pick up a device (Niles makes one) that will power-up a few AC outlets when fed 12 volts, but I would rather plug the amp directly into my current source of power which is a dedicated 20A line with a Hubbell 8300 hospital grade outlet.

A friend suggested a used Hafler DH500, which is just the right size, but as far as I know, can't be operated remotely. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks, Ken G.
kgproperties

Showing 1 response by kgproperties

Hi Sean:
Sorry it took so long to respond (tax season!). Anyhow, the speaker in question is a Cello Amati. What I've decided to do is to utilize a couple of old Kenwood L-07's (mono-blocks) that have been collecting dust for the past several years. The Kenwoods were designed & built when Kenwood was still "Trio" (as I recall, three brothers owned the company)- well before they became a mass-marketed brand. Each amp was conservitavely rated at 150 watts into 8 ohms, but I really don't know what it will do with a 4 or 2 ohm load. The Cello speakers were all designed with low, mid & high binding posts to allow for easy triamplification if desired. My intent (at this stage) is to connect one of the mono-blocks to the woofer inputs, and the other amp to the mid/tweeter input. Since I already own the amps, the price is right, and they can be operated remotely by using a little 12 volt relay. Providing the amps can push out enough current, I should have no problems! Thanks for your response, I truely appreciate it. Ken