Opinions PLEASE - Pass Labs XA-100.5 or X250.8 for Magico S5 MK II

Opinions PLEASE - Pass Labs XA-100.5 or X-250.8 for Magico S5 MK II

- I now own the X250.8 and like it with my Magico S5 originals.

- I have ordered new Magico S5 MKII that will be here around Christmas and have a chance to trade my X250.8 toward a pair of XA-100.5.

- I use to own the X350.5 and really liked the warmth of the .5 amps but can't say i like it better than the 250.8 as they are different but like them both. 

- I have read over and over how the XA pure class a mono's are another level and wanted to ask you guys.

- Do you think the  XA-100.5 is enough power for  Magico S5 MKI? Would love some feedback, thoughts and/or opinions from you guys. Thanks  

Extra info below as FYI - only if interested 
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Associated Equipment (Audion Virtual System)

Digital: DAC: Bricasti Design M1 Special Edition DAC; Servers: PC: Qotom 190S Dual Port - Baytrail J1900 12v Micro-PC, Small Green Computer SonicTransporter for Roon to my Bricasti (my main audio server), Storage: WD My Cloud 12v 2TB NAS, Digital Transport: Bricasti M1 Built-In Ethernet Network Player,

Network Switch / Power Supplies / Software
: The Linear Solution OCXO Audiophile Switch, Power Supplies: Uptone Audio JS-2 (2-Rail) Linear Power Supply, The Linear Solution LPS-912 Linear Power Supply, Breeze Audio 12v Linear Power Supply (2-units), Re-Clocker: Wyred 4 Sound C Remedy Femto, USB: Uptone Audio ISO Regen, Curious Cables 200m Regen link, Uptone Audio USPCB A/B Adapter, DVD: Denon 2910 DVD/CD Player/Transport, Audio Software: Windows 10 Pro, Audiophil Optimizer, ROON 1.4, Fidelizer 8.0 Pro, JPlay, Roon 1.4, JRiver MC23, Sonic Orbiter.

Analogue: Turntable: VPI Aries Limited Edition 3D, Tonearm: 10.5 Inch Printed 3D Arm, Cartridge: Denon DL-S1,

Preamplification: Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Reference Preamplifer, Mark Levinson No.326 phono, Antique Sound Labs AQ-2004DT Tube Linestage preamp, Step Up Transformer: Bob’s Device Cinemag 1131, 

Power Amplifiers: Pass Labs X250.8 Amplifier

Loudspeakers: Magico S5 Reference Loudspeakers MCast Bronze, Magico S5 MK II Loudspeakers MCast Pewter on order (ETA 12/2018)

Cables: Interconnect Cables: Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion XLR 2.0M, Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion XLR 1.5M, Darwin Ascension RCA 0.5M, Speaker Cables: Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion 2.5M Spades, AC Cables : Kubala-Sosna Emotion 2M (x4 cables), Nordost Heimdall 2 2.0M (x2 cables), Verastarr Grand Illusion II 1.5M, Elrod EPS-2 Signature 1.0M, Zu Event MKI (3 cables), Zu Mission 2.0M, DC Cables: Gent Audio Custom DC Cables (Canare/Oyaide) (6), USB: Audiocadabra Ultimus3 Double-Headed Solid-Silver USB Cable 1.0M, DROK USB Multi-meter/Tester, Digital: Black Cat Silverstar 75 BNC/RCA, MIT Terminator-3 RCA, DH Labs Silver Sonic D-75 RCA (2), Tara Labs Prism 100dx-1 Tosilink, HDMI: AudioQuest Chocolate 1.0M, AudioQuest Forest 3.0M, Ethernet: AudioQuest Vodka RJ/E 1.0M, AudioQuest Forest RJ/E 1.0 (2 cables), Cardas Clear RJ/E 0.5M, Linear Solution RJ/E 1.5M.

Sundries / Accessories: Solid Tech Hybrid 3+3 Shelves Audio Rack w/White Shelves and Silver Pillars, Solid Tech Rack of Silence Amplifier Stand, SRA Ohio Class Isolation Platform, Symposium Acoustics Svelte Plus Isolation Platform, Isoacoustic Iso-pucks (8), PS Audio P10 Power Plant Power Conditioner; Weizhi Precision Precision PRS-6 Power Distributor, Red Dragon Audio Ceramic Cable Elevators (4), EdenSound Brass Vibration Weights (8), Bright Star IsoNode Footers, iFi Audio iPower 9V DC Power Supply, PS Audio Noise Harvesters (6), Furutech GTX (R) outlet, Oyaide R1 Beryllium AC Wall outlets (2) ; Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula (2)— Fsmithjack

** Room is
14 x 24 w/Cathedral Ceilings - 16 Foot a peak

** Music likes:
Assorted Music no metal or loud hard rock anymore really - not much Large Scale classical either but everything else.

** Likes / Priority:
Transparency - Delicate - Linear - High resolution - microscope but not sterile not etched or lifeless - I know there is a fine Line here but I'm looking to walk the line as close as I can - real see through into the music - transparent to the source because I love my DAC - extended and to remove as many layers without being clinical - image and sound stage lover - tight bass - hate flab - like speed and transparency but needs to be musical.

** Perspective
Speaker upgrade that I am hoping is a nice bump. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
In my experience the XA's are a significant step up from the already excellent X series.  I'd talk to Magico regarding power recommendations as well as Pass.

If I had the chance to upgrade to the XA's I'd do it in a heartbeat.
At 88db and looking at this graph and Stereophile remark, I would go the XA160.8 min or the XA200.0.
The XA100.8 will fine, if with a few under your belt your NOT a very loud listener/conductor/drummer/air-guitarist.

" The impedance does drop to minima of 3.15 ohms at 78Hz and 3.55 ohms at 900Hz, and there is a current-hungry combination of 4.3 ohms and –49° at 51Hz."

https://www.stereophile.com/images/217MagS52fig1.jpg

Cheers George

Thanks HK Fan and George,

George, I spent all my audio funds and then more than a little more than I wanted / should have to get into some new Magico S5 MKII. They are dang expensive or at least they were for me. 

For me now at this point its more about rolling with my X250.8 that I already own and paid for or trying the older but intriguing XA100.5 as the person is will to do a trade with me. I don't listen crazy loud, its not fun that way. Just normal and a bit over sometimes,

I knew they dropped down a bit there so wasn't sure these XA100.5 would work. Your detailed info is super helpful.

I tried to put just the graf on here like you did but didn't know how. Here are the measurements that look like the XA100.5 may work ok? What do you think? Thanks 

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/power-amplifier/pass-labs-xa-1005-pure-class-a-monoblo...

fsmithjackI am curious about the difference(s) between the Pass Labs X / XA series of power amps. Staying tuned.
Happy Listening!
I wouldn't worry too much about the power need... the XA series produces significantly more power than their specifications. My XA60.5 drives my Audio Physic Avanti 3's to volumes that by exceed my threshold and never even goes out of class A...

As long as your room is not an auditorium and you're listening to rock concert volumes, then you'll be perfectly fine with XA100.5. And I bet you're going to absolutely love them!
I was thinking if I brought a pass lab, 250.8 or the 350.8 what preamp would go with that.  since there is fewer and fewer tube preamps out there and im coming from cj gear, what are the options ……..

also, why not the simaudio amp to go with it, I hear they are really nice amps...……..

I owned the Simaudio W8 and it was a great amp and I really liked it but it was no contest. The Pass Labs X350.5 and X250.8 were much - much better IMO.

Not even close. No I am sure their newer models are better and I really love the Simaudio brand for pre's and digital but for amps I just think Pass Labs makes better amps.

Be it his low powered creamy First Watt amps or his XA or X amps or his .5 amps or .8 amps. IMO they are in another league or maybe even 2. That said their preamps and digital are amazing for Simaudio. Simaudio is not cheap either. They make great gear but they seem to be more money than the Pass gear also. Built quality of both for everything is beyond reproach. 

My Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Preamp is a former generation preamp and honestly it is incredible. 

It flat out beat out my Pass Labs XP-30, Mark Levinson No.326s and ARC REF 5SE and each of these I thought were the best when I owned them. 

I am amazed even today at how good the P-8. The stage just explodes wide and deep and it is so quiet and transparent and dynamic with just a dab or 2 of warmth to just burnish it nicely. It not thick or thin and it is fast and so quiet. It is the best I have owned and honestly I was not expecting it and it was a place holder at the time as I was moving gear around to afford ordering my new Magico S5 MK II I ordered last month and ended up with it and still today I am just blow away how good it is.

This said the W8 was a fine amp. I bought it just because I was like OMG if it is anything like the P-8 I will be set. That was not the case at all. Two weeks later it was on its way. Again, nothing wrong with it and in a vacuum I may have loved but I had the Pass X250.8 which blew its doors off IMO.

I am not saying to bad mouth the W-8. To be fair it is a much older amp and for the price the performance was really good but the X250.8 is a really really good amp. Way better than their price. I actually find this amp a true gem and a real sleeper and at its used prices of $6k - $7k there nothing that can touch in my option. It has a sweetness the bigger amps don't offer as much.

I don't know maybe part of this is effected by the synergy of my rig. The combo in my rig punches way above its weight. Between my Simaudio P8, Pass X250.8, Bricasti M1SE, Magico S5's and Kubala-Sosna Emotion full cable loom as combo just kills it and can't wait until the next weeks when my new Magico S5 MK II come in.

Maybe they all just compliment one another so well but Sim P8 and Pass 250.8 match so well IMO. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35630112@N05/46190013771/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35630112@N05/45465885844/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35630112@N05/45465887244/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35630112@N05/45465887434/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35630112@N05/31250746627/in/dateposted-public/

fsmithjackThank You for the update on your Simaudio/Pass Labs combo.
Happy Listening!
Frank,
I have had the XA100.5's and the XA60.5's  but not with Magicos.  I have not. had any of the 0.8 series amps.  Each of the 0.5 series amps according to Pass have a slightly different character.  The XA100.5's were slightly warm sounding while the XA60.5's were a bit leaner in the mid bass.  With the 0.8's Pass Labs endeavored to give each of the series a more uniform sound.  I thought the XA100.5's were excellent amps but not the very last word in recovery of very low level detail.  I would also note that according the Pass Labs spec sheet the XA100.5 had a maximum amp output of 28 amps and 41 volts while your current X250.8 has a maximum output of 28 amps and 80 volts suggesting that it will be the more powerful amp and perhaps more dynamic amp.  The X250.8 leaves class A at 16 watts.  The choice of amps really depends on the interaction with the speaker.  While I suspect that the X250.8 will be more detailed and dynamic but not as warm sounding as the XA100.5, Magico and/or Pass Labs may be able to give you the more first hand observations regarding interactions with the Magico S5's.