Opinions on why this system is uninvolving

I have just upgraded my system in a number of ways from Snell Type A/IIs to Revel Studios; from Audible Illusions Modulus 2 to Hovland HP-1; and from the earliest EADs to Metronome Technology DAC and transport. I find the system uninvolving much of the time. I also find it lacking in dimensionality, find it sometimes hard sounding and I notice image wander. Here's the whole system:

Revel Studios
Hovland HP-1
MFA 200C mono amps
Metronome DAC and Transport
Shunyata Hydra on amps
Power Wedge I on other components
Various high end cords incl. Top Gun, Shunyata Mamba and EMI whales
Tara Prime (or perhaps 1800) speaker cables (bi-wiring)
Audioquest Ruby interconnects between amps and pre amp (about 30-foot run)
Hovland interconnct between DAC and preamp
Siecor optical AT&T between DAC and transport

Any thoughts on how to arrest these problems would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about trying solid state amps like the Pass 250 or 350, the McCormack DNA line, Proceed or Rowland, but I'm not really sure that will make a sginficiant difference. I know it could change the sound signficantly, but not necessrily for the better (which I realize is completely subjective anyway).
znak_m
Your Hovland will not like Pass amps. The Hovland has a high output impedance (2500 ohms, I believe) while the Pass amps have a low input impedance. I don't know about the MFA amps, probably not a problem since they are tubes (right?), but in combination with the long cable runs, incompatibility in this part of the system is one area I would look at. As a diagnostic measure, move some of your front end close to the amp and go to a 1M or 2M interconnect. Then, try a different amp and/or a different pre-amp. You are not looking for a typcial "different sound" here but for an obvious aha!, which will tell you something was amiss in the compatibility area. Good luck!
Your Hovland will not like Pass amps. The Hovland has a high output impedance (2500 ohms, I believe) while the Pass amps have a low input impedance. I don't know about the MFA amps, probably not a problem since they are tubes (right?), but in combination with the long cable runs, incompatibility in this part of the system is one area I would look at. As a diagnostic measure, move some of your front end close to the amp and go to a 1M or 2M interconnect. Then, try a different amp and/or a different pre-amp. You are not looking for a typcial "different sound" here but for an obvious aha!, which will tell you something was amiss in the compatibility area. Good luck!
Greetings "Znak_m",

The first thing that I would ask is, "Have you given your new system enough time to break in?" If not, this could be a major part of the univolving nature of your system.

If after break-in (anywhere between 20-100 hours or more of play time) you still don't have the sound that you are looking for, then perhaps one or more items are out of pace with the music.

If you can afford ($$$ as well as time) to do this, I would recommend starting one piece at a time, begining with removing the line conditioning out of the path, and starting with the amp(s). Then the cabling, and following that with the loudspeakers.

I understand the the Revels are rather finiky with placement, so you might want to experiment with their positioning.

In many instances, using the same cable throughout benefits the sound quality of your enire system.

The proper high quality amp can make a world of difference to your system, and I would recommend either a pure Class A solid-state, or a good tube amp.

If I can be of any further or more specific assistance, please feel free to e-mail anytime.

- - - -

Authorized dealer for the following recommended products that we carry to meet your criteria...

Audience - http://www.audience-av.com
(See the review of the Au24 cables and powerChord in the 8/02 Stereophile)

Chang Lightspeed - http://www.changlightspeed.com
(Line conditioners that allow the music to shine through)

Clayton Audio - http://www.claytonaudio.com
(World-Class pure Class A solid-state amplifiers)

Silverline Audio - http://www.silverlineaudio.com
(Loudspeaker systems that are magnificantly voiced)

Best regards,

-Donald

W ENTERPRISES NORTHWEST -Portland, OR USA
High End Audio That Is Music To Your Ears
www.wenterprisesnw.com ||| [email protected]
Znak,

Any chance you can get your Snells back? The Type A was a helluva speaker, and a very, very tough act to follow. I've had several customers who tried the Revels and were disappointed in them.

In my opinion the design concept of the Revels is very intelligent. I am all in favor of getting the reverberant field right. However, the Revels somehow don't live up to their potential. I've heard other speakers that also do a good job with the reverberant field, which are much more enjoyable long-term. Much as I'm a fan of Floyd Toole's theories, somehow the Revels just aren't convincing to me.

The Snell Type A's, on the other hand, are brilliant in execution as well as in concept. I'm quite sorry the speaker was discontinued.

I can think of several alternatives to the Revels, but without knowing what your priorities are, I hesitate to make a specific recommendation. Also, I don't know what an "MFA 200C" amplifier is.

Best of luck to you.

Duke
I hate to have to state the obvious, but an analog front end would do wonders.