Opinions on Meitner MTR-101 Amps???

Anybody out there still using these former Stereophile recommended Ed Meitner designed mono-blocks?? Anyone have them revised? Is it worth it? Appreciate any comments. Thanks.
rackon

Showing 3 responses by jim

Getting in late on this but if the Meitner's you purchased are in wood cabinets and have round, cylindrical heat sinks on the back, you just bought amazing amps. More amazing still at their price. These are some of the best "little" amps I've ever heard (and "little is not a put-down, just a reference to size for their power). They do not sound like solid state and also sound much more powerful than their power rating (100w I think). Heard these just recently driving the big Hales (Trans 8's?) beautifully. Enjoy, man.
You are a lucky man and made a damn, damn good choice. These are such good amps, will drive anything and look wonderful, too. Enjoy. PS I assume, since they are monos you will place them as close as possible to your speakers. If not, although Meitner said you can stack them one on top of the other with no problem, get some small blocks as spacers and stain them to match the finish of the amps. These puppies run bit hot, at least at the heat sinks. Doesn't hurt to take extra precautions. Again, I was so impressed with these amps --- and I am a tube guy. You're set for a very long time.
Oooooops... Rackon, sorry to be so presumptuous. Being an audio guy, I guess making dumb mistakes goes with the territory. Actually, it's not that I found so little to fault with the Meitners, I found nothing to fault. Love these amps. They just seem to have that certain "rightness" that gets straight to the music. Fine music, indeed. You are quite the St. Nick, Rackon. In fact you are inspiring me to maybe drop some more audio goodies into my own stocking (Christmas stocking, that is). I envy you listening to music with BASS, which is something I don't get enough of with my electostatics (get lots of other good stuff, though). Will two REL's fit down the chimney? Happy Holidays and please let me know how it goes with your new toys.