Opinions on Audio Research Ref 5SE vs. Modwright 36.5DM

I am interested in both of these pre’s as a possible replacement to a BENT silver TVC running into active ADAM speakers. These two pre’s seem like two natural contenders despite the price difference but I cannot find much discussion on the net from users who have heard or owned both and can offer an informed opinion on the relative merits of each.

Has anybody on the ‘gon had the good fortune to compare these two and able to offer an opinion? Any issues with impedance matching etc?

Thanks all,

Mondie (Simon)

mondie

Showing 3 responses by adg101

Now that the Ref 6 is out and the 5 SE's are being discounted it's a tougher decision I suspect. I have the standalone 36.5 and with the tubes and other tweaks I have done to it I am floored by it. It sounded very good with the stock tubes and fuses but now it's been transformed. Honestly not in any hurry to send it back to Dan for the DM upgrade but I'm sure eventually I will. In my case it probably makes sense to upgrade my Pass X250 to the .8 series first. 

Not heard the Ref 5SE but I'm sure it's awesome. Many I read claim the standalone 36.5 is better than the Ref 3 but I've never had the pleasure to compare the two but I'm sure just as many preferred the Ref 3. Both of these models you are considering are reference pieces and probably not much out there that much better regardless of price. Don't think anyone is going to be able to give you an accurate accesment even if they have compared the two because it needs to be done on your system in your room. One might sound better on system A but not be great on System B. 

I'll admit I'm a little biased towards the MW and if you look at the power supply on the DM it's pretty substantial. The metal work on the MW's are top notch, not that the ARC Reference pieces aren't nice as well. 

If if you have multiple balanced comments then I tip the scale to the ARC. My only complaint on the MW is only one balanced input. Not a problem for me at the time but maybe if I upgrade my phono preamp it will be. 

You really need to try both of them in your system if possible. Find a dealer close by and see what they'll do for you. If no MW dealer near then Dan will sale to you direct and I'm sure he'll let you send it back if you don't like it. Good luck.
I switched out all the stock tubes which are Sovtek's. Replaced with NOS Mullard GZ34 and EH 6H30 PI from Cryoset Certified. Both sets of tubes really opened it up; sounds less SS. Also using Herbie Tube dampers on all valves. Replaced the stock fuse with a SR Black fuse which again opened things up; a lot more air and speed. Per Dan's suggestion when I bought it I bought the Daedalus DiDs from him and bought a WyWires Silver Juice II PC. The end results are astonishing to say the least. No doubt between a stock unit there is no comparison. Sounds silly to say this, but I bet it would give a stock DM a run for its money so obviously the same could be done to the DM which would be interesting to try. The non DM is a beast and I bet it alone gets real close to the Ref 5SE... I'm sure it's not but a lot less money. Either of these preamps are great preamps so it probably ends up on cost and availability. Good luck.