Opinion on Elekit 8300 300b

I am thinking of building this kit. I would like to get into SET's and expand my DIY. Currently have Green Mountain EOS HDx's with Ayre QB9 and Ayre AX7e. The GMA's are only 90dB but a very simple xover and easy to drive.

I tried a MiniWatt Pentode SET with 3.5 watts and it sounded very nice for guitar, voice and violin. The 300b kit has 8 watts and would be sufficient for the kind of listening I intend to do with it. I will def keep my Ayre for R&R, dub step etc.

I have built computers (in the old days) and soldered chips so I know how to solder and know digital well. Just am not so familiar with analog stuff and power.

I am interested in trying lots of mods over time so may be investing money in it.

Questions are:

1. Is it worth the money as a starter kit?
2. Is it an upgradeable platform or does the use of PCB's negate that?
3. Would I be better off using a wired platform from the start?
4. Anyone know about the Elekit kit that has interchangeable 2a3 and 300b? Sounds interesting but maybe the tradesoffs are too great.

I know about Audionote and Bottlehead but these kits really almost double the cost and I would prefer to try different mods and upgrades. Also want to build a set of Single driver speakers soon too.

Thanks for you opinions! Oh, really not trying to stir a debate about tubes vs SS. I like em both really and want both of them in my audio quiver!

Drew.
drewh1
Post removed 
Oops - Viridian it is! I will definitely let you know and will likely have questions about caps as I get more deeply into it. Thanks for the tip about the Hammerton paint.
Post removed 
Hi Veridian - I'll let you know how it goes. It is supposed to ship this week. I am taking everyone's advice from the forum - build it stock then upgrade!

Might make a goldpoint the first upgrade - love the way they look and right in the signal path. I will be only hooking up one input and will eliminate the cheapo selector switch in the initial build. Should be fun and educational at any rate.
Post removed 
Just pulled the trigger and ordered the 2a3 Stereomour. I have the manual but the kits are awaiting transformers.

Viridian - Thanks for your input. The Bottlehead Forum is really helpful too.
Post removed 
I know, the Miniwatt is not much of an ammp but a friend had one laying around. I was interested in just getting a baseline around output.

The Bottlehead looks very nice and is not based on PCB's. Definitely a contender. So I guess I really need to decide whether to go 2a3 or 300b as a starting point. I do really want an upgradeable platform for caps, volume control etc.

Thanks alot for your input!
Post removed