Opinion of Meridian 557 Amp

Hi, has anyone heard the Meridian 557 Amp. I heard these 2 of these Amps bridged, on the Sonus Faber Extremas. This system with Meridian 557 Amps bridged, sounded so sweet and smooth and articulate. Now i'm not sure, if that was due to the Sonus Faber Extremas, or the Amps. The Amps bridged were 1000 watts. The Preamp being used was the Meridian 502. The Digital system was the Meridian 566 Dac, 518 Jitter reducer and the Meridian 500 Transport. But i must tell you, this system sounded unbelievable. I never heard anything this good. Alot of people know Meridian threw there digital equipment, Dacs, CD Players, Processors. But the 557 Amps and 502 Preamp in this system sounded amazing.
twilo

Showing 2 responses by perfectimage

I have a pair of Extremas. Its the best sounding, smoothest speaker I have ever heard. They work well with lower wattage but love the power. I have worked my way up to dual Classe Ca 400's that I run bridged (roughly 1200 watts per channel). If I remember correctly its something to do with the crossover that makes them power hungry but Im not sure.
A Rel is a must! I use a Rel Stentor 2 sub with mine. Its a perfect match. Very seemless and it gives the Extremas a good amount of punch in the lower end using the same quality of bass. I have been debatng picking up another Rel and running stereo subs.

I really like all the older Sonus Faber models. Elaectors, Elector Amatuers. They were all very warm sounding.