Open Floor Plan Listening Room

Hi All,

I have an open floor plan listening room. Any ideas on how to close off the room in order to improve lower frequency bass response?  I’m looking for room dividers that can be made to close off the space when I want to listen to music, but have aesthetic qualities and can be opened/closed easily.  The open plan consists of my living room and kitchen together at 45’ L x 17’ W x 10’ H.

The open section separating the kitchen/living is 15’ W x 9’ H.

I don’t have other room options in my home.

Any help appreciated.  Speakers are Apogee Duetta Signature.  I have moved them around to make a difference but still need to close off the room behind sitting area to get the lower frequency bass I desire.

TIA!
sandpat
Post removed 
Good to know and I suspect you’re right with regards to finding the correct overlap point in frequencies with the full range speakers.  I do have an audiophile friend nearby who can help with this.  I also plan to purchase the appropriate measuring components to make it easier.  I may have a local company who specializes in this come out for a consultation as well.
I have two recommendations to make. The first is to go for at least two smaller subwoofers instead of one big sub. In most situations that produces a far more even response. See here for some reading: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/20101029using-multiple-subwoofers-to-improve-bass-the-welti-devanti...
The second suggestion is to invest in a DSpeaker Antimode 8033 room equalization unit as well. This tightens the response significantly in both the frequency and time domain. With two subs this is even more effective because the equalization will be effective over a larger listening area. Subs have a bad reputation in audiophile circles, but this is largely due to the problem of the room modes that they excite. These not only produce peaks and dips, but they also linger on. People speak of slow subs, but it is not the subs that are slow, but the lingering room modes.
Excellent, thank you.  Funny you should mention Acoustic Frontiers.  That’s who I reached out to for a quote in order to handle the work of calibrating and positioning my subs and speakers.  They are local to me so if the consultation price is right that’ll work out really well.
You might be sitting in a NULL spot. I use the 1/3 speaker setup and have used the 1/5 setup in the past. This means placing the speakers 1/3 of the room length from the rear wall and my listening position is also 1/3 from the wall behind. Since you are hearing a lot of bass 45 ft away, I would try using different speakers and listening positions in your room. Check out speaker room setup from the likes of Cardas and others