Open Baffle Experience

Much has been said about open baffles, including an epic website by the late, great Dr. Linkwitz but I've only heard them really once, playing absolutely garbage music (thanks Pure Audio!) at a hotel.

I'm talking here about dynamic drivers in single baffles without enclosures, not ESLs or Magneplanar type systems.

I'm curious who has had them, and who kept them or went back to "conventional" boxes?

I'm not really looking to buy speakers, but I did start thinking about this because of a kit over at Madisound made with high quality drivers.

erik_squires

@mwatsme could you send me link to plans for your speakers? I think this is exactly what I am looking for in my listening space.

LXmini plans are available here:

Phoenix open-baffle sub plans are free from Linkwitz Labs website, here:

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer.htm

The specific Phoenix[alt] version I built is here:

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer3.htm

I made a slight alteration (think it was 1/4" taller?) to fit built-in Hypex FA-123 (could also fit wider FA-253), and you can build a pair of the subs with one (4’x8’) sheet of wood.

While searching for that file, I also found the in-room measurement (used REW and Omni Mic)...

Since both "russbutton"and "eric_squires" both mentioned the active crossover in Linkwitz designs, I thought I might elaborate on my last post.  I was fortunate to be good friends with one of  Linkwitz's collaborators on the "Orion" loudspeaker.  He was nearby and I frequently visited as he tinkered on improvements to the design. Siegfried had signed off years prior after deciding that he'd taken the "Orion" to its limits but my friend continued to work painstakingly at them nontheless.  On every occasion the work centered on changes in the active crossover.  We all are familiar with companies that promote their careful matching of components during the build and how significantly that care can impact performance.  Well --- he had a substantial stock of components and hand-matched them before putting them into service, hence the values were as close to perfect as possible.  Every change was followed up by long, careful listening sessions.  Most changes were subtle and a few were remarkable.  I'm positive that my active crossover was altered/improved at least a dozen times over probably a 5 year period, so I can't honestly say that I have a standard Orion crossover at this point.  He was Linkwitz's builder of most of the crossovers for the Orion and as such, was intimately informed of its performance specifications.  As "russbutton" also stated, the Orions are my "forever" loudspeaker as well.

You bring up a serious benefit od dsp based crossovers

Dabbling with qith passive crossovers is expensive as hell.  You can easily spend 5x more on the parts you don't end up using.