Open Baffle Experience

Much has been said about open baffles, including an epic website by the late, great Dr. Linkwitz but I've only heard them really once, playing absolutely garbage music (thanks Pure Audio!) at a hotel.

I'm talking here about dynamic drivers in single baffles without enclosures, not ESLs or Magneplanar type systems.

I'm curious who has had them, and who kept them or went back to "conventional" boxes?

I'm not really looking to buy speakers, but I did start thinking about this because of a kit over at Madisound made with high quality drivers.

erik_squires

Unless you are prepared to use a sub.....Open baffle are not a good Idea....I have 2 pair and rarely hook them up anymore.

After owning Vandersteen speakers I clearly decided that open baffle speaker isn't in my taste of performance.

Unless you are prepared to use a sub.....Open baffle are not a good Idea....I have 2 pair and rarely hook them up anymore.

Yes open baffles are not right.

I respectfully disagree.  I own the Spatial audio x5 open baffle and their woofers are powered and include DSP and a level control. I also have two rel subwoofers and have tried using them with the X5s and they detracted not improved the bass.  The bass is much better without the rels.  I'm getting flat response to 32 Hz without the subwoofers and very good extension to the upper 20s according my stereophile test cd.

Sure I have heard open baffles with weaker bass but it depends on the open baffle speaker design and woofer implementation.  The X5s are a little different in that the bass is powered and the output controlled by the end user but this just adds flexibility.

In my opinion open baffle bass is faster and more detailed than a boxed subwoofer bass but again that is just my opinion after having lived with and heard many very good box floorstanders and subwoofers such as the Rel.

So here is kind of an oddball question.

Would OB speakers do well in a demo/hotel room?