Onkyo/Pioneer/Sony connection problem

Equipment: Onkyo SR805 A/V Receiver
Pioneer DV-58AV Universal Player
Sony S550 Blu-Ray Player

Pioneer and Sony players are connected to the receiver via
HDMI cables and the receiver to the TV also via HDMI cable - all version 1.3.

The problem is that in order to listen to cds from either player, I must have the TV on; otherwise, there is no audio.

As a last resort, I can overcome the problem with the Pioneer by using the multichannel analog outs to Onkyo's multichannel inputs. This of course means extra ICs which I would very much like to avoid.

Onkyo has been of little help - except to tell me that the problem is not with the receiver. However, since it's the same problem with the two players, I believe its the
receiver not handling the HDMI connections/signals properly.

Would appreciate knowing if there are others who might have encountered and/or solved a similiar problem.

Thanks for all responses.
wepratt

Showing 1 response by mbreed1962

I always find these HDMI communication issues such a joy! Ha,ha... In this case, Onkyo is right and Kr4 is right. The advice given by Upgrade1394 should solve the problem, because the rcvr is taking it's cue from the TV about how to handle the HDMI input from your "video devices." This is a common problem in a lot of systems. One important note; Many receiver manufacturers have resolved this issue in the way Kr4 mentions. In fact, his Integra doesn't exhibit the same symptoms. Let me know if turning off the HDMI communication feature works.