Onkyo DV-SP1000 Universal Player

High hype, reviews seem to be gushing. Has anyone auditioned this player or it's sister model from Integra? What do you think?
Curious.
listen

Showing 3 responses by daltonlanny

Hello,
I used to own an Onkyo DV-SP1000.
First, it has by far the best build quality and remote control of any universal player under $2,500.00! It weighs about 27lbs out of the box! The player is also gorgeous and operates very smoothly and quickly.
The picture is also outstanding in my opinion. Some people complained of a lip-sync issue with the audio and video on certain movies. I never noticed this problem with my unit at all.
Audio wise, it sounded excellent. Great detail, openness, smoothness, and natural warmth in spades! Especially on SACD, and on Red-book.
It was just a tad too sweet and laid-back for my own personal tastes, especially on DVD-Audio. To anyone who's musical tastes are more on the slightly sweet and laid-back side of neutral, I would recommend this player without hesitation!
But, if you prefer a slightly brighter, livelier, and more forward sound, I would have to recommend something else.
I hope this helps.
Lanny
Right now I am using an older Pioneer DV-47A.
I am ordering a Toshiba SD-4960 universal player modified by Reference Audio Mods, with all the mods, and should have it in a few weeks.
Tonyptony,
Interesting point.
E-mail Douglas Jesse at referenceaudiomods.com and ask him these questions.
Let me know what he tells you.
I would like to know this myself.
Thanks.