Onkyo DV-SP1000 or Pioneer DV-59AVi?

Hi Guys,
I am putting together a relatively budget system for my Den, and I am looking at purchasing a great sounding universal player.
I have narrowed down my choices to either the Pioneer DV-59AVi or the Onkyo DV-SP1000.
I have briefly listened to the Onkyo, but not the Pioneer.
I like the idea of the Pioneer because of its solid reputation for reliability, Burr-Brown DAC's, and its reputation for good sonics and supposedly great video.
Being able to purchase it online in the $750.00 to $850.00 range delivered also helps!
I like the Onkyo because of its SOLID construction, great video, and according to the European press...great sonics.
On the other hand, I have read that some of the Onkyo's have a lip-sync issue, maybe some slight video noise, and the price is slightly high compared to the Pioneer.
I also don't know how good the Wolfson DAC's are in the Onkyo?
Has anyone out there owned both of these units, or compared them?
If so, could you tell me how they compare both sonically, and on video?
Please don't bring up the Denons or the Marantz DV-9500, as I have already ruled them out.
Thanks for your help guys!
audio_girl

Showing 1 response by larry_s

Video via HDMI/DVI the SP-1000, 3910, and 59avi are very close and any one would do just fine - except the 3910 which uses the Faroudja 2310 that has "macroblocking" issues with some digital displays. Secrets of Home Theater explains this in their review. The SP-1000 also has had some lip synch issues reported. For audio, most people prefer the SP-1000 (from reading comments at AVS from those who listened to all three). Best bang for $$$ of the three is the 59avi. For audio you can get more for more $$$. For video, in most cases, more $$$ will get you the same or worse.