Onkyo A-9555 amp + Totem Model 1

While I was looking for an integrated amp that I can use with the Totem Model 1 speakers, I've found Onkyo A-9555.
It seems like a good one at an affordable price!
So I'm wondering if there's anyone who ever used this amp with the Totem speakers or is currently using it.
Will it be a good matching amp with the speakers?
henryjudy
I am buying similar speakers to yous. My speakers will be the Vapor Audio Breeze. I am trying out the Onkyo a9555.
The amp has received a few good reveiws. For an 85 watt amp that has all of the bells and whistles , it would be very difficult to find an equal integrated near the used price of the Onkyo at around $300 to $350. I wonn't have my speakers for a couple of more weeks,so I can't give you any actual feedback. You may look into a Jolida 1501 rc, it is a 100 watt hybrid amp. I sold this for $450 to make way for the Onkyo. Good Luck!
Todd
I have enjoyed the Onkyo with Totem Arro and Vienna Bach and Haydn Grand. Great amp for the price.
J135 What has been your experience with the Onkyo?
Can you name some characteristics that you enjoy?
Any area the amp is lacking for you?
Thanks,
Todd
01-15-12: Toddnkaya
J135 What has been your experience with the Onkyo?
Can you name some characteristics that you enjoy?
Any area the amp is lacking for you?
I've owned an A-9555 for nearly 4 years and it anchored my LP-based 2-channel system for nearly 3 of them. I agree with the other respondents that this amp is very hard to beat at either its street or used price. I got mine new from Amazon in silver for $474.

Compared to other $500 integrateds, it has several advantages: 1) It seems that most ~$500 integrateds have some midrange glare, are limited in bandwidth (and speed) to tame this glare, or lack either power or refinement. The Onkyo manages to give you lots of power, lots of speed, a lot of instantaneous peak current (which makes the amp sound more powerful playing music than it measures on the test bench), nice transparency and clarity without sounding harsh or edgy. I found the amp to be very neutral and musically engaging throughout the time I used it.

When you first get it out of the box it's going to sound sterile and edgy. Have faith. It needs at least 100 hours to burn in. I tuned in an FM station and ran it all the time at low volume when not playing music through it. At about 4-5 days it started settling in.

Leave it on all the time, at least in standby mode. Accd'g to reviews I've read, switching amps need 10-12 hours warmup to sound right. In standby mode the Onkyo is very "green," drawing only 1/4 watt.

Try out some different power cords. That's another thing switching amps are reputedly sensitive to. When I tried 3 different cords I heard three different presentations, though maybe I needed to let each power cord burn in too. Anyway, at that time I settled on a PS Audio from about 6 yrs ago. Now I use a Zu BoK to match the Zu interconnects and speaker cables I rewired the system with 2 years ago.

The amp has lots of I/Os. I think you can plug up to 7 devices into it, and it even has a built-in phono preamp. I found that the phono section was very smooth and excellent with inner detail, but didn't have much slam, so I used an outboard phono preamp.

I wish it had pre-out/main-in jacks, or at least pre-outs, but it doesn't. Even so, I used it as a line stage by running a headphone-to-RCA cable out of the headphone jack. It is a surprisingly good line stage.

The speaker terminals only accept bare wire, pins, or bananas. The amp gives back so much, though, that I consider it well worth ordering your cables with bananas. I even bi-wired by running two sets of banana-terminated cables to the LF and HF inputs of my speakers. Sounded very good and the amp had no trouble driving it that way.

The fit and finish are excellent. The amp's buttons, switches, and controls have a luxurious silky feel. At 28 lbs. it's heavy for an 85 wpc switching amp because it's a hybrid and uses a full-size linear power supply.

In summary, the thing I like most about this amp is that it provides more power, bandwidth, and clarity at this price point than good-sounding competitive models (e.g., Rega, Marantz, Cambridge) without sacrificing refinement, smoothness, transparency, or musicality.
Thanks for your comments.
Actually, Onkyo A-9555 is available at $380 from Accessories4less.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKA9555BLK/Onkyo-A-9555-Integrated-Digital-Amplifier-Black/1.html

One concern I have is that you can hear some noise when the amp is used with 4 ohm speakers. Since Totem Model 1 a 4 ohm speaker, I'm not sure this amp would be a good match with the Totem speakers.
Thanks, for the great write up Johnny ! Johnny do you run the amp with Zu speakers? I thought those were super revealing speakers.
Henry ,it seems they are sold out at that site.There is one on here now.
I just got my amp for three hundred shipped from a great seller.

01-15-12: Henryjudy
One concern I have is that you can hear some noise when the amp is used with 4 ohm speakers. Since Totem Model 1 a 4 ohm speaker, I'm not sure this amp would be a good match with the Totem speakers.
Did you hear this problem yourself? If not, where did you hear that the Onkyo is noisy into 4 ohms?

Usually you hear higher noise levels on sensitive speakers. Stereophile reviewed the Onkyo A-9555 into a pair of AvantGarde Uno speakers with a measured sensitivity of 102.5 dB at one watt input. Robert Deutsch, the reviewer, had frequently heard noise through his speakers, but not with the Onkyo.

I used the Onkyo to power a pair of Mirage OMD-15s, which are rated at 6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum, and I never heard *any* amp-related noise come through the speakers. This amp's low noise level is one of its strong points.
Thanks for your comments.
Actually, Onkyo A-9555 is available at $380 from Accessories4less.

I'm not seeing that.
Availability of the A-9555 seems to come and go. A month or two ago they were still listed on Amazon. Now they're unavailable. If you Google, however, you'll find a few online vendors offering them anywhere from $400 all the way up to their list price of $799.
I have used my A9555 with audionirvana full range drivers and Khorns. It is very quiet with a very "black" background on both. Best bang for buck I have heard in this crazy hobby.