onkyo 805 vs 806

i heard there are a few differences, such as codecs being burr browns vs 806's different cirrus i believe. I was going to do a pre/ with an amp but an audiogoner has steered me this way? Which unit is better both can be had used? Which comes with better features?
athens14

Showing 3 responses by blindjim

I'm with Cruz here and have the 05 too. They push these things out like cats having kittens... you can't keep up.

Each year it seems to me, the mid fi or mass fi gear gets made less expensively. Now digi amps are the rage for HT in receivers with many makers. Onkyo too might have gone this way some where in there to lose some weight. Either that or they lessened something in the power supplies probably.

Either Onkyo will be a good choice I'd bet. If one feature set over another suits you... go there.

My only regret is I wasn't inspecting close enough to see that no digital inputs were transferable to alternate zones.... zone 2 & 3 are output analog only, meaning more cabling is required and some niftier navigation for their uses.

otherwise... I think it's a solid pick. To redo it, I'd have waited, saved up some more and chose one with more versatility regarding how inputs run in the added zones... a USB input too would have been prefered.

BTW their support is decent as well... better than some other's by far.
CRUZ...

HAVE YOU EVER USED YOUR aUDACY GIZMO? I HAVE NOT. I dialed in my distances and so forth and run it without any EQ at all... just the Odyssey amp... and all HDMI inputs. 2 from pc and one from the cable box.

If it's a "yes" on the auto adjusting sound feature... Did you like what happend... and were you able to save those settings using outboard amps? (which they say it won't work with if other amps are in the mix)

tanks
Dlcockruhave you ever thought up a way to emulate or duplicate these Auto EQ setup features using outboard - external amps connected to the Onkyo?

I wonder if following the Audacy setup, those settings are able to be seen in the EQ menu and then written down and re-entered once the amps were connected back up to the rec.

I understand once other amps are inplay things will likely change sonically... but figured perhaps this would be a better or maybe even, good enough point to stay at or begin with for further tweaking.

tanks