One TT, 2 arms, 2 cartridges for $2,000 used?

I would like to buy a turntable on which I can fit two arms, both for stereo, but one that would favor "analytical/resolution" and one that would be more "romantic/forgiving"...can you guys suggest a complete set up, brand and model for TT, arms and cartridges?
beheme

Showing 1 response by dougdeacon

I agree with Swampwalker. $2K would barely begin to buy one decent vinyl front end. To hope for that plus a second arm and cartridge isn't realistic. Even if you could find such a setup you'd end up with a poor approximation of both types of sound, especially on the resolving/analytical side. True resolution is hard to do, and it's never cheap.

Get one rig that's as close to analytical/resolving/neutral as monies allow. It's easy to make a resolving rig sound romantic. I can think of a dozen different ways, many of them free. But there's no way to recover the information smothered by an inherently romantic cartridge, arm or table.

Doug

P.S. If you must have opposing, artificial colorations instead of musical neutrality, how about one decent $2K rig plus a tube phono stage? You could swap tubes depending on the flavor you want. Finding tubes that change a "tight" sound to "tubby" is neither difficult nor expensive.