One speaker observation from the New York Hifi show.

I was just at the New York Hifi show, and perhaps because of the size of the rooms, all speakers were toed in, and most were toed in severely. The result was very little effective imaging.  Most sound appeared to come from one central spot between the speakers.  I realize hotel rooms are not ideal, but even in the larger rooms, noticible toe ins were prevalent  I don’t believe this positioning shows systems off to their best advantage.  To me, speakers pointing straight ahead produces the best imaging.
128x128rvpiano
prof - well, at least we agree on the Thiels.  I'm a twenty-five plus year user of same, and their coherence and attention to diffraction elimination do pay imaging dividends, for sure.

I also agree that the Thiels, in a decent acoustic environment successfully admit a bit of "roundness" to the sound .... call it "body" if you will.  But I stand by my guns in saying you simply don't hear much roundness when listening to live music from a normal venue seating position, nor can you pinpoint directionality.that precisely.  In an orchestral recording you can generally sense the cellos and bass on the right, and the first violins on the left, but that is about it.  Brassy horns will have a semblance of directionality as will percussion, but not pinpoint definition.  As I said before, I can create it in a dedicated listening room ... it is a matter of placement and sound treatment, one way or the other, but unless you prefer sitting in the conductors chair, or on the edge of the stage, the "hologram" effect we audiophiles strive for is just not realistic.  But more importantly, IMO it is far less important than realistic dynamics and tonal accuracy in conveying the musical import.
Again, I agree with harrylavo. At live concerts, of which I attend many, I generally sit close up where one may hear the most directionality (certainly in the middle to rear of the auditorium, you hear very little.) But even in that position I don’t hear precise directionality, and still less front to back imaging.  Indeed, perhaps because of microphone placement, I get more exact imaging listening to good recordings than I do  sitting at my seat in the auditorium.
Even though my system images an orchestra better than live, it still doesn’t have that holographic effect some strive for (and some achieve.) That’s a “magic trick” brought about microphone placement.  No one sits where those microphones are placed in an orchestra.  Even in night clubs the mikes are placed in a position where almost no one sits.
One doesn’t get it sitting in the audience at a live orchestral performance.  What one does get is a more generalized sound which good stereos can reproduce.  Imaging is secondary to the overall effect.

rvpiano - Thanks.  We obviously hear things the same way.  But I also agree with your earlier post ..... it is fun to create the holography, conditions permitting.  
Regarding the wall behind the speakers. Regardless of the type of speakers the wall is a reflective surface. There will be a time delay between sound from the speakers and that from the wall. This is Distortion. If you want refined,delicate,nuanced sound,at all volumes, this distortion Must be avoided. ie keep speakers away from that wall. I like a minimum of 40 inches; and use diffusion as well to make the reflected sound-noise- as diffuse as possible. 
Re “Toe in”. Take a look at any data on speaker measurements - Stereophiles are good- and you’ll find curves showing how high frequency sound diminishes at 10/15 degrees off centre, and goes down from there. It’s in the nature of the all drivers,other than the rare omnidirectional efforts. So if you don’t toe-in, you’re missing high frequency sounds that are part of the music. People do adjust for taste; like food preferences. Speaker manufacturers primary frequency specification is for measurements made directly in front of the speaker. There’s the facts. Cheers