OMG. What now?

After all the listening, the buying, the seeking, the reading, the tweaking, the testing, the critiquing, the latest trend, and the old forgotten mend… my system sounds wonderful - to me.

I’m enjoying the music without thinking about this thing, that thing, the worst thing, the next thing, the best thing… another thing. But I just know there’s something better!

That’s it. It’s the ultimate blessing or, dare I say it, the ultimate curse. I’ve reached the end of the audiophile’s dilemma. Or have I? What now? So,

1. I’m not using a preamp between my digital source and my amp. Both are outstanding, so do I really need one?

2. Where’s the best place to sell my used stuff?

3. What’s the most obvious “weak link” that’s holding my system back from a yet undiscovered audiophile music nirvana?

We all here suffer the same neuroses, so any help is appreciated.

Ag insider logo xs@2xideal8592

You haven't reached the end of audiophile dilemma if you're still questioning what ifs. The problem is the old known unknowns conundrum, just have to quit this drug to get off perpetual hamster wheel.

Vast majority of dacs will benefit from active pre. Based on reviews I've seen, even top flight dacs with analog volume benefit here.

If you are still thinking about gear and not just enjoying the music then either forge ahead or jump ship. 

@ideal8592 Congrats!  Glad you joined the "done stressing over the gear club".  I've been a member of that club for a while now, though I did purchase a new CD-SACD transport in December (as PS Audio offered a new model, and a key part of the one I replaced was no longer being produced).  Hoping you can relax and enjoy the music more!

“2. Where’s the best place to sell my used stuff?”

Audiogon! Where else? ;-)

You need to consider the law of diminishing returns.  How deep are your pockets?  Mine aren't that deep and my 'rig' sounds better than it ever has.  Great recordings sound amazing and mediocre ones sound well, OK.  The more money you spend, the worse the lousy recordings are going to sound.  Sit back and enjoy the music and don't concentrate on what you may need to improve on the sound.  That's what it's all about anyway.....enjoying the music.