Oldie, but A'gon newbie, seeks your advice
This is long and detailed but I figure the more info you have, the more you can help.
Now that the daughters' college loans and weddings are finally paid off, I'm looking forward to spending some of my money on me, and want to start with my well used but outdated a/v equipment. Much of my a/v equipment is around 12 years old. I've been reading all the HT and audio mags for 3 months (and discovered A'gon a month ago) in an attempt to familiarize myself with current technology .... but you know what they say about "a little knowledge".
1. 16'w x 30'l x 8'h room with billiard table taking up about 40% of it. A/V equipment is centered on one 16' wall with seating 12-15' from that wall. Sheetrock walls and ceiling, carpet over concrete floor.
2. 30-something attitude, but 50-something body with average to above average hearing loss. I want excellent audio, but realize my hearing will bring me to the point of 'diminishing returns' with equipment quicker than some some
3. Expected use:
Video - 75% straight TV - Direct TV source, 25% movies/ concerts - mostly DVD but still have a library of Lazer discs that I occasionally watch
Audio - 80% CD, 20% vinyl
4. I live 200+ miles from any source better than Best Buy/Circuit City so I'll be buying everything on line with little-to-no chance to demo, so local brand availability is not important but quality /reliability of the equipment is.
I intend to upgrade/replace everything in 3 steps:
- Keep 55" Mitsu big box RPTV for a year or so, then replace with Sony 60" SXRD RPTV.
- Keep current Sony HDMI dvd player until high def. DVD format battle becomes more clear and prices get realistic
- Keep current speakers: Kef 104/2 mains, Kef center and in-ceiling rears
- Keep Sony LD player
- Keep current turntable/cartridge
- Replace subwoofer
- Replace amp, pre/pro (or receiver) and cd player
- add Harmony 880 (or other) universal remote
- add XM radio tuner
Step 2 (12-18 months)
- Replace TV and purchase high def DVD player
- upgrade to HD Direct TV
Step 3 (24-36 months)
- keep Kef speakers for HT, purchase new speakers for 2 channel listening
- Replace turntable
Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
Am I replacing equipment in the right sequence?
Would like your suggestions for amp, pre/pro (or receiver) and CD player. Have a budget of around $6,000. for these 3 pieces. Also looking to spend $1,000 on a used subwoofer. Nore interested in good "musicality" than knocking my house off it's foundation What do you suggest? I know there are always concessions when you're trying to build a "do everything" system - I'd concede a little on the HT in order to have better audio.
On a recent business trip I did get a chance to demo a couple of systems at one dealer. His suggestion was Rotel RMB 1095 amp / RSP 1068 pre/pro / and Ayre CX7E source player. He said that was the best system for $6000. that he could put together based on my intended useage. I'd like your input on his suggestion as well as your own suggestions. Thanks you in advance for your help.