Older Cary 306/200 vrs a recent used Cary CD500?

How does the highly reguarded some 10+ year old Cary 306/200 CD player sound vrs the recent discontinued Cary CD500 player? I'm thinking of buying used. Both of these units look interesting to me. Of course I could wait for the newer Cary player due out this Spring...Currently using a Denon 1650AR which I like. Most of my listening is now CD. Really I just want a really good player and be done with it. All comments welcome.
exocet954

Showing 4 responses by pehare

don't overlook the 303/300 esp. at used prices. I owned the 306/200 for a long time & have enjoyed the 303/300 several years now. btw, I always run it in solid state mode.
one thing that always bothered me about the 306/200's remote is it's rather cumbersome & built like a lead brick versus the cd500 which is a nice light modern plastic unit. accidentally dropping or knocking the remote of the 306/200 off a table or shelf is like dropping a hammer. my 306/200 sure sounded fine & was very reliable.
thanks, I really like them both but never had a chance to compare the two side by side. I bought the 303/300 after owning a couple other units in between. Both have really good analog volume controls w/3volt output thru the rca's (more thru the xlr's) which works great direct if your amp is sensitive enough & of course - if the synergy is there. good luck I know you'll like either the cd500 or 306 a lot.
when using a preamp make sure you have the analog volume control all the way up via the remote. I think it's going to blow away what you're used to - let us know how you like it:)