Old Rotel 965BX won't lock with Marantz HD-DAC1

I have an old Rotel 965BX cd player that I would like to use as a tranport.  It only has coaxial digital output.  When I connect it to the Marantz HD-DAC1 it does not seem to lock.  All I hear is a lot of clicking from the DAC1 and occasion bits of music from the speakers.  I haven't tried to use the DAC1 coax input before.  The other transport I have is connected via optical.  It works fine.  The Rotel line output work fine.

The Rotel is from the early-mid 90's and is mint.  Very seldom used.  My question is, does anyone know if there might be a problem with older CD players with coax output connecting to my DAC1?  Is there something in the locking handshake that the may make older CD players not work with the DAC1?  Or could it be that the Marantz coax input is defective?  I don't have anything else around to try the coax input of the Marantz with.

Thoughs?  Thanks
ttbolad

Showing 1 response by mesch

Is the output from the player 1-bit or is the DAC within convert to 1bit?  It may be that the coax output could remain PCM as coming of the disc. Just wondering, don't know myself.