Old or new gear

Greetings,

I am trying to buy my first tube amplifier. Budget is about $2500-3500. I am not very good at doing electrical work myself and do not intend to restore/repair/update the equipment myself. No time for another hobby. 

Looking to get something very reliable to use for years to come. I tend to keep my equipment for a long time, and do not upgrade things frequently. Trouble free listening is the goal. US made (or Japan or western Europe) would be really nice. Looked at Chinese models, but decided not to go that route, although there are many very good quality brands with great reviews. The top of the line Chinese units are not much cheaper than US made ones, through.

For that money, I am looking for something like quicksilver mid monos or decware MK4, brand new, both made in US, with good reviews as far as build quality and reliability goes.
Alternatively, there are amps here on Agon, such as CJ, Cary, VPI 299d, VTL de luxe 300,  VAC rebaissance 30/30 MK3, all used, about 10-15 years old, some in mint conditions with low hours, under or around 3K.

I am looking more for good sound and reliability than a specific amp type (pp vs SE) or output tube design.

Any advice? Again, not looking to resell but this is always a consideration as well (never know what the future holds). Main concern is quality and long term reliability.
Are there better transformers, caps, resistors etc... now than 10-15 years ago? Again, not looking to upgrade anything myself and do not have the time to spend in repair shops.

Thanks for your advice.

sophie999
The new Prima Luna amps have excellent reviews and are affordable because they are made in china. They are supposed to be built very well and have auto bias and protection circuitry so if a tube goes bad it won't damage the amp. I have heard them and they sound good. There is no maintenance except replacing tubes when they go bad. there are nicer amps out there but these are in your price range and seem to be trouble free. Here is the website http://www.primaluna-usa.com/  Good luck.
Thank you.

Still leaning towards the QS mid monos. PL was my choice before, but the model I wanted is slightly over 3K. For that, I can get US made gear of likely at least similar quality.

Rogue is also nice, but decided to go with PTP over PCB.

Still would like to hear some opinions about preamps. Several affordable once I am looking at are SS (many brands would be under 1k, most new would have DAC in them as well), Schiit Freya, or even assembled Elekit pre. Any thoughts? Or there is really nothing good under 1K newto go with QS?

Thanks
Sophie999 the Odyssey Candela is nice and really so are the Quicksilvers, although i prefer the one without the remote  with the cavaet "for the money". For a bit more i would consider the  Conrad-Johnson classic 2 SE (upgraded teflon caps), definitely worth it. This model is recently discontinued but may be located at a discounted price. You can never go wrong with CJ, easy to resale and they hold their value, warm, transparent and always true to the music.  

Most of the amps people have suggested with the exception of the Atma Spheres are traditional tube amps using iron core transformers.  In your price range you will be hard pressed to differentiate other than by feedback and time in market. 

Take a look at Linear Tube Audio for both amp and preamp.  These are David Burning designs, should run your easy to drive Polks fine in a bedroom, and tubes auto-bias and will last 10-20 years.

Their 10 watt amp is in your budget, is really stronger than 10 watts and will sound better than the traditional options.  That plus their MZ2 preamp will make magic together.   Plenty of gushing professional and audio show reviews over the last few years.  I'm a customer with their bigger amp and preamp, not affiliated.

I own the Quicksilver Mid Monos, they are great amps.    Serious value for your money, rock solid reliable, excellent support should you need it.  These aren't my first tube amps, I've owned several.... but they are the best I've ever owned.   And they are the only ones I haven' t had to repair or put a soldering iron to when a tube failed.   I had two tube failures, one I just replaced the tube and good to go.  The second time replaced tube and mains fuse.  No damage..  Great amp for first time tube owner.  

I have used them with Revel monitors and currently using them with Klipsch Heresy III and they are an awesome combination.   I would buy another QS product without hesitation.